• The Forum will be unavailable on March 27, 2023 from 8:AM to 12:00 PM EST for maintenance.

Rock Fish Lures

Alaska_Lanche

Reaction score
So I am ok at finding some animals to shoot, but totally clueless on anything fishing related. What might be some good lures to pick up if trying for some shallow water rockfish (less than 60 ft). Not going for any whoppers but a couple to help fill the dinner plate while my wife and I spend 6 days in a bay out in PWS and give us a chance at catching a couple would be fun. So what lures do you suggest we use to jig with?

Thanks

Rob B

Reaction score
Well. Head to B&J's and pick up any of the 4 - 8 ounce jigs. Cripple Herring jigs. Butterfly jigs, Diamond jigs or just about anything will work. Fish a little deeper and you could catch a little more too. Rock fish are a blast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kotton

Reaction score
Crippled herring jigs are my favorite.Purple and gold or a silver gold are my most productive color.My wife will say different she allways goes for pink and white.Love jigging for rock fish and man are they some good eating!

fishingyoda

Reaction score
Jig

Jig

3-4 inch white skirts on a 3 oz or so jig head killed me for us last summer. My buddy used to live/long line for just about everything down on Kodak and says the best luer for black bass is a plain hook with a 4-6inch black shoe lace tied to it

Paul H

Reaction score
Well. Head to B&J's and pick up any of the 4 - 8 ounce jigs. Cripple Herring jigs. Butterfly jigs, Diamond jigs or just about anything will work. Fish a little deeper and you could catch a little more too. Rock fish are a blast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Agreed, honestly I don't think I've found a jig that won't catch a rock fish. You can add smaller lead heads to the list with grub tails, shads or pretty much any plastic with some motion. Buzz bombs, any of the heavier spoons, etc.

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
http://www.snapperslapperlures.com/Snapper_Slapper_Lures.html
These are killer on Yellow Eye and some of the deeper rockfish,,, they can't resist. Soldotna Hardware has them most years in the 7oz. which is what you'll want.

Looks familir almost the same as the ones I make.
jy9yjyze.jpg

these are the newest ones and I think they will be killer.Kachemak Candy in various sizes. 1,2,3,4,6,and 8oz for rockfish.
pysebugy.jpg

ybuhebu9.jpg

A charter captain friend of mine swears by the 4oz flutter jig in white. I can make those for him but I am giving him some of my 4oz Kachemak Candy in white and chrome. I think he will like mine better.

Brian M

***** Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Like the others said, crippled herring or really any jig with some flash will work. Rockfish aren't picky, and those near-shore little guys are a tasty blast!

tigerrockfish.jpg

Old John

Reaction score
So I am ok at finding some animals to shoot, but totally clueless on anything fishing related. What might be some good lures to pick up if trying for some shallow water rockfish (less than 60 ft). Not going for any whoppers but a couple to help fill the dinner plate while my wife and I spend 6 days in a bay out in PWS and give us a chance at catching a couple would be fun. So what lures do you suggest we use to jig with?

Thanks

Lujons with the red strip on one side always worked great for us, but anything flashy can do it.

Michael Strahan

webmaster
Reaction score
Looks familir almost the same as the ones I make.

these are the newest ones and I think they will be killer.Kachemak Candy in various sizes. 1,2,3,4,6,and 8oz for rockfish.
pysebugy.jpg

ybuhebu9.jpg

A charter captain friend of mine swears by the 4oz flutter jig in white. I can make those for him but I am giving him some of my 4oz Kachemak Candy in white and chrome. I think he will like mine better.

WOW, that's a killer deal: 32 jigs for two bucks! How much extra for rigging?

-Mike

Michael Strahan

webmaster
Reaction score
+1 on the Crippled Herring. Took some to Kodiak last summer and every time we dropped them down on rockfish, we caught fish. We caught fish on other lures, but the Crippled Herring outperformed everything, hands-down. I bought some more for our trip to Southeast this summer.

The main thing is to avoid getting hung up. Drop it to the bottom and reel up a few cranks. Most rockfish are not right on the bottom anyway; they are suspended. With black rockfish, they can be found suspended anywhere from close to the bottom to mid-depth and even at the surface.

-Mike

270ti

Reaction score
I'd be very interested if anybody knows of a jig they won't eat. I doubt one could be invented though, without going BIG.

I once had a client rig a powdered sugar donut on a hook, and catch a black bass. Then he tried a whole banana. Same result....

Bernard R Rosenberg

Reaction score
I was doing a figure-eight on top the water to check out the action of a new lure and as I lifted the lure out of the water a rockfish blasted up from lower depths and nailed it in mid-air!

I'm a writer; you guys know I only pen the truth...

Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK / Sarasota, FL / Zhengzhou, CN

BrownBear

Reaction score
I'd be very interested if anybody knows of a jig they won't eat. I doubt one could be invented though, without going BIG.

I once had a client rig a powdered sugar donut on a hook, and catch a black bass. Then he tried a whole banana. Same result....

Ain't that the truth. We just save all our old stuff from flies to spinners and spoons, then rig them on a leader above weights we cast ourselves. Only way to keep the OFF the hook is to use something too big for them. And a lotta times it has to be bigger than they are to be too big. Those guys are life support systems for mouths.

NeverLand

Reaction score
Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centre
As long as you have enough weigh to take the jig down, it will catch rockfish.
I brought a whole bag of jigs that I used for strippers in the Cheasapeke Bay, they all worked for rockfish. Then again, in the mid-Atlantic they call strippers rockfish.

chico99645

Reaction score

Rockfish remind me of seagulls. Not really much they won't eat. I think this year, I'm gonna try putting some silver salmon milt on a hook and see it they will take it. Salmon Milt is the only thing that I've fed to a seagull that they refuse to eat. A little trivia. How many hard boiled eggs does it take to feed a seagull before he's too heavy to fly away. The anwser is 12 :proud::lol:

0321Tony

Reaction score
For rockfish the only thing you will need is a hook with enough weight to get it to go down.
One of my favorite lures to use if not fishing with much current or wind is the small "storm" rubber shad looking jigs. They are light so they sink slowly just let it freespool out and when it stops it's because a fish grabbed it. They don't usually make it to the bottom before something grabs it.

Sent while hiding from the boss

Alaska_Lanche

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys...got about 15 mins of sun during our 6 days out in PWS but made the most of it rain or shine. My wife had a ball catching these guys.

ramhunter

Reaction score
+1 for the "storm" wildeye swim chads!...white glow or pearl, rockfish love them things...