Resurrection Bay Silvers Question

healerf18

Reaction score
I'm curious about Silver salmon migration patterns. When they show up around Resurrection Bay late June/early July, I understand that they generally arrive from the west and are traveling east toward PWS (except for the terminal Res Bay fish). I clobbered them at Fox Island the second week of July, but now the action has significantly tapered off and the fish are being found in good numbers around Johnstone Bay.

So I'm wondering, once that initial bunch of Silvers passes through, is that pretty much it for the season? Or do they tend to come through in waves? Is there any point trying Fox, Cheval, or Pony Cove through the month of August, or do you have to go farther and farther east to find them?

rimfirematt

Reaction score
I'm curious about Silver salmon migration patterns. When they show up around Resurrection Bay late June/early July, I understand that they generally arrive from the west and are traveling east toward PWS (except for the terminal Res Bay fish). I clobbered them at Fox Island the second week of July, but now the action has significantly tapered off and the fish are being found in good numbers around Johnstone Bay.

So I'm wondering, once that initial bunch of Silvers passes through, is that pretty much it for the season? Or do they tend to come through in waves? Is there any point trying Fox, Cheval, or Pony Cove through the month of August, or do you have to go farther and farther east to find them?
Pretty sure at least until the derby ends it should be good fishing in the bay. Derby is like mid August

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

AK2AZ

Reaction score
As noted above they mill around all over the bay after the second week of July. And don't forget they hang around Driftwood Bay for a long time mixed with Kings.

healerf18

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. That makes sense. We clobbered the Silvers the second week of July at Fox Island, Cheval, and Pony, but things were much, much quieter in the bay this last weekend. We did find a few more at Driftwood. I wonder, however, if we can expect another fresh run into the bay, or if what we catch through August are just the terminal fish.

AK2AZ

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. That makes sense. We clobbered the Silvers the second week of July at Fox Island, Cheval, and Pony, but things were much, much quieter in the bay this last weekend. We did find a few more at Driftwood. I wonder, however, if we can expect another fresh run into the bay, or if what we catch through August are just the terminal fish.

Weather and pressure changes do change the bite. That said, I often times troll deeper when the normal things aren't working. A good example of this was last years fishery...the fish were there but the thermocline was very near the bottom in most places and I had most of my success trolling all the way down to 240'. I've also found that some flasher colors are certainly better than others and you can't really go wrong with something that is chartrues. I als tend to get bigger fish lower in the column and more Kings for sure. I always have something at least 100' deep or more.

FishGod

Reaction score
Weather and pressure changes do change the bite. That said, I often times troll deeper when the normal things aren't working. A good example of this was last years fishery...the fish were there but the thermocline was very near the bottom in most places and I had most of my success trolling all the way down to 240'. I've also found that some flasher colors are certainly better than others and you can't really go wrong with something that is chartrues. I als tend to get bigger fish lower in the column and more Kings for sure. I always have something at least 100' deep or more.

Exactly!!! In Seward I always use a chartreuse flasher and prefer to fish deep 80-125+. I always pick up kings along with silvers that deep. When the orcas are in the bay, I will fish 120-250 ft.

tlingitwarrior

Reaction score
Exactly!!! In Seward I always use a chartreuse flasher and prefer to fish deep 80-125+. I always pick up kings along with silvers that deep. When the orcas are in the bay, I will fish 120-250 ft.

Exactly the reason I troll with 20lb downrigger weights.