Repowered SeaSport 383 Stroker

Gary W

Reaction score
Took the "Sandy Lee" out to Big Lk to try out new motor. Took out Volvo Penta 5.0 (ford 302), and had a 383 Stroker installed. For 15 years I always thought that I had plenty of power in the 5.0. This new Chevy block 383 is unbelievable when getting on step. Comparing old to new, 302 at 3800 rpm = approximately 24 to 25 mph. New 383, at 3800 rpm runs up the speedometer to about 34mph. Very much hoping this increase in hp and torque will lead to a little better fuel milage than we are used to.
Planning on launching out of Whittier for a few days to complete break in process and just getting to know her before the long dark, but it looks like the weather is going to be somewhat of a challenge.

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
My 22 had a 5.7. It really hauled butt. I now have a 24 with a 7.4. I feel that haveing a bigger engine and not having to run it hard is a plus. Not having it and needing it is never good.

Gary W

Reaction score
Just returned from Whittier and the Sound a few hours ago. Weather Tuesday thru Friday was pretty good except for the inches of rain that fell last night. Woke up to a bright sky and sunshine on the foggy mountains. Out for 4 day and only saw 5 other vessels of any kind the entire trip. Thats a dream for us.
New 383 Stroker lived up to expectations as far as power and speed. Not sure on fuel economy yet due to first 10 hours were spend moving rpms around for a good break in. Have a total of 16 hours on her now. Power form old to new engine was phenomenal, Blink an eye and your going 40. Thats scary enough without considering that you have another 2000 rpms left on the top end. Way too fast for my comfort, but wanted to run her through all phases. Seems like a good choice. very hard putting her away now, but will feel good all winter after these last few days.