Record red run in the Kasilof

NORTH2AK

Reaction score
Looks like a nice run! I've heard the Copper river run was a little early this year as well. Any signs that the big Kenai run will be early?

live4chrome

Reaction score
Anyone else notice how wormy the kasilof sockeye have been this year? I wonder why as none of the kenai reds I cleaned had them but almost every single one out of the kasilof has had them. Some bad, some not so bad but still present.

mbrenna

Reaction score
How long did you let your fish sit before you gutted them? The longer the fish is dead before the guts come out, the more worms move into the meat. Just a thought.

live4chrome

Reaction score
How long did you let your fish sit before you gutted them? The longer the fish is dead before the guts come out, the more worms move into the meat. Just a thought.
I usually clean them within 5 hours. The worms are all in the guts, and there are hardly any in the meat at all.

TradBow

Reaction score
the faster you can clean and get salmon cold the better you're going to be meat wise! Its harder to pull off when you're spending hours on the river or you're hiking a ways. Gut and gill them, and get'm cooled down is the best you can do! We have coolers with ice ready at the rig and pack them head to tail alternating belly's up, packed with ice.

c6 batmobile

Reaction score
And yet they (guide) said it was slow on the Kasilof yesterday.....

I was down there the other day. I didn't fish was just stopping at a friends camp and letting the kids play, but we sat and watched for over 45 minutes and nobody had hooked anything. It was probably just a slow day or we weren't there when one of the slugs was moving through.