Recommend an affordable 30-06

Smitty of the North

Reaction score
SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points
I sort of got carried away with MHO's on certain rifle makes and models, sometimes in this age of speedy messaging it's all too easy to say something and move on to the next without retrospective thought until you get called on your words - If there were not so many different preferences and opinions what kind of world would this be ? Just with my long time hunting buddies there's one who has a Jarrett 300 (Rem 700 action) and I know he would not trade that rifle for anything, another uses a Ruger 77 with that God awful synthetic stock they used and he loves his, a guy that carries an original Mark V with wood stock and wouldn't have it any other way - Then there's me ... seemingly always looking for that "perfect" rifle ... I think I might be better off to keep alot of MY opinions to myself and do more complimenting other peoples' choices - for the money spent I really like my Kimber Montana's and I'll keep my 2 T3's mainly for the clip feature and it's specific usefulness BUT these are MY personal preferences

Good points.

Except that all your opinions are welcome. And the reasons for them are even more welcome.

I've got 3, "perfect rifles", and a couple three more that are nearly so.

Smitty of the North

grizz106

Reaction score
I am always curious about the more inexpensive rifles like those mentioned as well, to the op, don't know if you have chosen your rifle yet but Howa is another that I understand is quite accurate. It is compared to the Vangaurds in price I suspect just depends in where you buy it from. The barrels too from my studies are from the same make, could be wrong just trying to recall some past threads here and there of them. Gun shows always have something in your price range, I have never had a used one that I bought that did not need some kind of work so choose carefully. Them Tikka's are some shooters, in my parts I zeroed a buddies .338 Tikka some yrs. back and what an accurate plastic rifle...quite pleased and surprised how well it shoots out of the box. A fella here too had a Vangaurd in a .308 that was quite accurate as well. Guess most are good shooters, just have to make up your mind what you want to spend and go for it. Prices always go up.

gogoalie

Reaction score
"Did Savage have any comment to offer on that failure? Did something happen to cause the failure?" No, but it was in it's 6th or 7th year of service, & I had been shootin' 150 grn Core Lokt all day ('bout a box load or more...) & then switched to a box o' 220 grn, so I'm of the hypothesis that it was a stress fracture of a larger grain bullet, & age. All that matters, is that Savage fixed it, free o' charge...

tailwind

Reaction score
Just wanted to update, I still haven't found what I'm lookin' for.
I have a LNIB Smith Bodyguard with integral laser that I would be willing to trade if that sweetens the deal for anyone. Comes with ammo & extras.

Attachments

• S4200009.jpg
    S4200009.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 0
  • S4200010.jpg
    S4200010.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 0

back country

Reaction score
I don't have anything I can offer up except for some (maybe) insights - It seems to me that a "used" rifle should be automatically suspect of not being the performer is should - It seems that every preowned firearm you look at on Gunbroker, at a gun show, or wherever has only had "1 1/2 boxes shot", "50 rounds", or ?? - Now I'll admit to having let some great guns slip through my hands that I look back and mourn whilst trying to kick myself but I have also had some abysmal performers that I too sold second hand - My point is, if you know or trust the seller that's good but if you are buying from an unknown with no references "buyer beware seems good advice, at least when you buy a NEW firearm of good reputation it will be you who is the judge of the gun's quality and value to you - I AM NOT implying that anyone on this forum would take advantage of you, this forum "feels" to me to be comprised of good, honest & very knowledgable people, but at let's say your typical gun show, you have a person selling a gun he or she most likely has not even closely inspected or cleaned, much less tested for accuracy and function - When dealing with "sales" it would be wise to closely consider what you are being told - In Portland I used to attend every sinlge gun show and there were the "normal" sellers there that I would not trust to buy a box of factory ammo - that said, this time of the year is a great time to find some darn good deals and you can judge by the tears if the seller is honest or not

tailwind

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice BC. I got a lemon .44 magnum on this forum a while back, and my trade was promptly exchanged back with an apology. No big deal but I am very wary of any used guns, and complete inspection checklists before purchase.
(I have had other bad experiences with used guns, but it had nothing to do with this forum:))

I also insist that if the gun has any problems within a month, a trade must be exchanged back. Generally, members with high post count/rep points seem more accountable for their actions and would rather have a happy fellow hunter than anything.

I almost got a trade on a Savage Edge with scope/bipod/sling for the Smith Bodyguard, but the trader wanted some extra cash that I did not have:mad:

Still lookin'...:whistle:

JC in AK

Reaction score
Does anybody know anything about the new Mossberg rifles? They seem very affordable and have a few interesting features. I saw one at the Anchorage Wal Mart in stainless with a flutted barrel and a muzzle brake in 30-06 I believe for around $400. It had a reverse boat paddle stock (hollowed out center) with a raised comb on the side of the stock. Pretty wild looking thing. Wonder if its a shooter? It may be what Tailwind is looking for.......... Maybe?

tailwind

Reaction score
JC, great idea we already touched on. I have looked around for this gun and the Edge scope combo, haven't been able to find them.
Which Walmart did you see this at? Anyone seen a Savage combo around?

Odiebo

Reaction score
I was just in the south Anchorage Walmart today and saw this rifle. I was walking by the gun case, rotating one nearest the tents, and the hollowed out butt grabbed my attention. Then the fluted barrel. Nice looking rifle. I think the price was $389. Fred Meyers has a Remington 770 with scope on sale for $289 in .308". I know its not the calibre you're looking for but it's nearly as versatile as the .30-06 and very similar ballistics within the 300 yard/meter range.

Matt

Reaction score
Do a google search on the Remington 770 and you'll see why they are priced at such a "good deal".

back country

Reaction score
A rifle's beauty is in the eye of the holder - I don't think I'd want a 770 in MY safe ... but then "one more good gun deal is all I need ... to go broke" - all kidding aside, you'd be better served to hold off a month or two and save up some extra dollars to spend - You have received valuable advice and experience from the members here on this forum and "life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun"

tailwind

Reaction score
I will agree. I'm not a fan of the entry Remington rifles.
I'm going to look at a Model 70(thanks for the suggestion wildalaska) tomorrow...hope I get lucky!

So far, a Savage 110 and Edge in 30-06, and a Model 200 in .270 have fallen through. Bummer.

tailwind

Reaction score
Found a used Model 70 that's a shooter. Has a POS scope that will need to be replaced at some point, but WW fixed the irons for free.:)

Thanks for all the great suggestions and ideas!

1Cor15:19

Reaction score
Found a used Model 70 that's a shooter. Has a POS scope that will need to be replaced at some point, but WW fixed the irons for free.:)

Thanks for all the great suggestions and ideas!
Sounds like you made a great decision. IME buying used is the best option for a less expensive rifle. I hope you enjoy it!