Recommend an affordable 30-06

Alaska_Lanche

Reaction score
So much junk posted on this thread.

Just because a rifle doesn't cost more than say $500 doesn't mean they are all junk. Yes there are a few mentioned that I likely wouldn't purchase either but $300 can get you a lot of gun for the $$$.

Vangaurds, Marlin, and Savage are what I would look hard into personally. Sure you could go browning, ruger, remington 700, or the ilk but the animal won't be any more dead when shot with a "lesser" rifle. So long as the person purchasing the rifle is happy with the options and accuracy in this price range is all the matters. One man's junk rifle may be what someone has used to fill the family freezer for decades just fine. As always its more about the indian than the bow. :D

sayak

Reaction score
Just because a rifle doesn't cost more than say $500 doesn't mean they are all junk. Yes there are a few mentioned that I likely wouldn't purchase either but $300 can get you a lot of gun for the $$$.

Vangaurds, Marlin, and Savage are what I would look hard into personally. Sure you could go browning, ruger, remington 700, or the ilk but the animal won't be any more dead when shot with a "lesser" rifle. So long as the person purchasing the rifle is happy with the options and accuracy in this price range is all the matters. One man's junk rifle may be what someone has used to fill the family freezer for decades just fine. As always its more about the indian than the bow. :D
Thank you for saying that. Some of the best meat getters I've ever seen wouldn't fetch much at a pawn shop.
For at least a century or more there have been high end firearms, medium price range firearms, and used or entry level firearms. Should a a poor working stiff wait and save up money or go into debt to buy a Kimber, Sako, or better, or buy a cheaper, yet serviceable firearm to use during moose season? Some would say wait, and I won't judge them for doing so; but I wouldn't wait. Life and Alaska's autumns are too short. Buy a decent rifle that will do the job, become good with it, and then go hunt with it. Make some memories, and if God blesses you, bring home some meat.

Some will look down their noses at you for not having a high end rifle/scope worth a couple grand, but screw 'em. Anyway, you can always keep saving and buy a high end rifle later.

AKsoldier

Reaction score
Thank you for saying that. Some of the best meat getters I've ever seen wouldn't fetch much at a pawn shop.
For at least a century or more there have been high end firearms, medium price range firearms, and used or entry level firearms. Should a a poor working stiff wait and save up money or go into debt to buy a Kimber, Sako, or better, or buy a cheaper, yet serviceable firearm to use during moose season? Some would say wait, and I won't judge them for doing so; but I wouldn't wait. Life and Alaska's autumns are too short. Buy a decent rifle that will do the job, become good with it, and then go hunt with it. Make some memories, and if God blesses you, bring home some meat.

Some will look down their noses at you for not having a high end rifle/scope worth a couple grand, but screw 'em. Anyway, you can always keep saving and buy a high end rifle later.

It seems to me vehicles might be a good analogy here. Say you were in the market for a set of wheels. You need to get from here to there, and you are looking for advice on what to buy. Some folks might recommend a Lexus, Cadillac or some kind of sports car. Others may advise you to look for a truck for it's ability to haul a load. Still others may say a good-running, used econo-box should work just fine. Some say buy new, others say buy used.

Whatever advice people give, you can be sure they are offering the advice based on their own experience. Only you can decide what's right for you. If you are currently on your feet, it seems to me that any used Cavalier that is reliable is an improvement. Or - you can walk a little longer and save for the cadillac. Personally, I'd go with the Cavalier. I did, and I never looked back.

sayak

Reaction score
It seems to me vehicles might be a good analogy here. Say you were in the market for a set of wheels. You need to get from here to there, and you are looking for advice on what to buy. Some folks might recommend a Lexus, Cadillac or some kind of sports car. Others may advise you to look for a truck for it's ability to haul a load. Still others may say a good-running, used econo-box should work just fine. Some say buy new, others say buy used.

Whatever advice people give, you can be sure they are offering the advice based on their own experience. Only you can decide what's right for you. If you are currently on your feet, it seems to me that any used Cavalier that is reliable is an improvement. Or - you can walk a little longer and save for the cadillac. Personally, I'd go with the Cavalier. I did, and I never looked back.
Yup, good analogy.

Matt

Reaction score
I'm afraid I've missed your point. Care to enlighten us?

No, not really.

Though, the Vanguard is a good value (only if it is the stainless model) for the money. However, the factory stock sucked and had to be replaced as did the trigger (a Timney took care of that).

AKsoldier

Reaction score
No, not really.

Though, the Vanguard is a good value (only if it is the stainless model) for the money. However, the factory stock sucked and had to be replaced as did the trigger (a Timney took care of that).

Well then, I'm afraid I'll have to place you in the "gun snob" category. No offense intended of course. If you can afford the high-end rifles then by all means - enjoy them! I'd really rather you not post in threads like this though. Your input hasn't contributed anything of value.

My sub-$300 Marlin doesn't need a new stock, and it's not stainless. The trigger however, is an exceptional adjustable one similar to the Savage unit all the gun-writers rave about.

There's not the slightest doubt in my mind that I can confidently knock down game with it.

Seriously - this is a discussion for those who are experienced with rifles that WORK, and are AFFORDABLE. Only those with experience in the aforementioned category need post.

Smokey

Reaction score
My thoughts are God gave you two hands, one is for need and one for want.
Make sure you fill the need hand first - it will bring you the most happiness...:)
The want hand can bring you happiness but only if the need hand is overflowing...
tailwind - pick out the best you can afford and enjoy it! I have hunted and shot guns from all price ranges and the joy is in the action not the price....:)
Even the highest dollar ones can fail so there is no dollar amount that eliminates breakdowns!

gogoalie

Reaction score
Interesting, my Savage firing pin retainer broke this summer, I sent the bolt back to Savage & they replaced the retainer free o' charge, no questions asked...good as gold in my biased opinon...& the trigger on my pre accutrigger is set to one of the lowest poundages I've felt, over the two Remingtons I have, which are un adjustable without much gunsmithing...& did I say that the gun is STILL nearly spot on some 500+ rounds later?

Smitty of the North

Reaction score
SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points
No, not really.

I can only specuate as to why you are having so much more trouble with them than, apparently, anyone else.

It's interesting that you have these dogmatic opinions, and love to voice them, but don't care to elaborate. As if we are to accept them as fact, for some reason.

That sure doesn't help your credibility, so despite your claim of problems with them,

I believe the Vanguards are a great value, blued or stainless, and they meet the qualifications for a moderately priced hunting rifle, that does the job well.

Also, the Marlin mentioned, the Savages, or Stevens, etc. How can it be otherwise, when so many people have had good success with them? And, they are still being made, and sold?

That's really the test of value, if they can be marketed successfully for an extended period of time.

Smitty of the North

AKsoldier

Reaction score
I tried to rep you for that post Smitty - it seems I've given you some recently though. Well said!

HUNTERKJL

Reaction score
I'm thinking the entry level rifles have probably come a long way in the last several years towards offering affordable quality. Not to sound like a broken record, but the Vanguard I just picked up at S.W. for $350 has a fantastic trigger! It breaks at 3 1/4 lbs with no creep or take up. From everything I've read, most newer Vanguards are the same. Not set up and shot yet, but to me it is a lot of quality for the money and I'm bettin it will out shoot my tired eyes.

Sir

Reaction score
Interesting, my Savage firing pin retainer broke this summer, I sent the bolt back to Savage & they replaced the retainer free o' charge, no questions asked...good as gold in my biased opinon...& the trigger on my pre accutrigger is set to one of the lowest poundages I've felt, over the two Remingtons I have, which are un adjustable without much gunsmithing...& did I say that the gun is STILL nearly spot on some 500+ rounds later?

It's not often that I see a failure of any kind with less expensive rifles. With all the time (precious precious time), effort, money put into the short meat getting season, I couldn't handle the angst of an unreliable rifle. Did Savage have any comment to offer on that failure? Did something happen to cause the failure?

Oh, another reasonably priced rifle to add to the list that has a field strippable bolt and a LOT of features for the money: The Thompson Center Venture.http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/venture.php (yeah, I love TCs)

back country

Reaction score
I sort of got carried away with MHO's on certain rifle makes and models, sometimes in this age of speedy messaging it's all too easy to say something and move on to the next without retrospective thought until you get called on your words - If there were not so many different preferences and opinions what kind of world would this be ? Just with my long time hunting buddies there's one who has a Jarrett 300 (Rem 700 action) and I know he would not trade that rifle for anything, another uses a Ruger 77 with that God awful synthetic stock they used and he loves his, a guy that carries an original Mark V with wood stock and wouldn't have it any other way - Then there's me ... seemingly always looking for that "perfect" rifle ... I think I might be better off to keep alot of MY opinions to myself and do more complimenting other peoples' choices - for the money spent I really like my Kimber Montana's and I'll keep my 2 T3's mainly for the clip feature and it's specific usefulness BUT these are MY personal preferences

Latest posts