Questions about Cordova

traveler

Reaction score
I'm looking into a couple areas to spend expended amounts of time (summer) over the next couple years. Not too concerned about working, prices, housing; I just want to know about the local fishing scene:) What kind of salmon runs are available throughout the season? On the (short) road system? Any shorecasting to speak of?
Same questions about Sitka, Ketchikan, perhaps...but from what I'm seeing there isn't enough river action near them to keep me interested through a season.

Col. F Rodder

Reaction score
Look into Kodiak starts in early/mid May, can fish well into early October. 100 miles of road access to about 9 different rivers as well as salt water options

traveler

Reaction score
thanks for the tip:)
But no one knows anything about Cordova??

cod

Reaction score
thanks for the tip:)
But no one knows anything about Cordova??

I spent a year there. Quite a while back, but did a lot of fly fishing there. I've always thought ALL new spots were fun fishing adventures. Cordova was fun, but the suggestion for kodiak is something I would agree with. Spent a year there too right after I left Cordova. They both had good salt water fly action. Kodiak had more saltwater species to target. Kodiak had more river choices AND STEELHEAD.
I've seen several areas of the state for the purpose of fishing that area. Oh yeah, and for 'work', too. Kodiak was one of my favorites. Always said I'd go back but never did....yet.

SteveAK

Reaction score
Lived in Kodiak for 2 years, lots of river choices and species. Fished Cordova a few days, less river choices.

FlowJoe

Reaction score
I can echo what everyone else has said about Kodiak. Made it to Cordova around the first week of Sept. last year and put a killing on the Silvers. Probably some of the easiest fishing Ive done. You do have a few options to choose from in Cordova, not many though. I loved living in Sitka, but no real river fishery there, you'd better have a boat.