Question for Juneau fishermen

LungShot

Reaction score
My boss called me about 10 minutes ago (2:30pm) 4/9 and told me he is standing down at Auke Bay watching a school of fish a ways off shore. He said they are just going back and forth and just breaking the surface of the water here and there. He said they looked like kings to him. The school must be pretty large because 7 to 8 of these fish keep breaking the surface constantly. Any body have any clue what he is seeing?

SemperFi

Reaction score
The herring are in strong right now. Would be sweet if there were kings in too. I got to go check out the herring opener in Sitka the other week. There were schools acting like that, just bubbling at the surface of the water. Did he actually get a good look at the fish jumping?

LungShot

Reaction score
Not Herring. Definetly bigger. Salmon sized. Not jumping just cresting out of the water.

CanCanCase

Reaction score
There were some halibut doing that surface thing just outside of Windham yesterday. Could be flatties.

-Case

LungShot

Reaction score
I dunno

I dunno

I guess it could be halibut. The behavior he described sounded almost like pre spawning salmon but I dont think thats possible in early April. Maybe... just maybe his depth perception is out of wack and he was seeing herring that were much closer than he thought making them look like larger fish further away.... maybe. Being almost even with the water level it's sometimes hard to judge distance.

CanCanCase

Reaction score
Knowing the area my guess would be herring or halibut as we've all described.... I'll be South of town for most of May, and I'm hoping to see much of this behavior... solo-ing the boat lends itself to throwing flies rather than long hours trolling. Sight fishing for halibut... I love it!

-Case

windypoint

Reaction score
It sounds like everbody is getting King fever....I know I am.

LungShot

Reaction score
Monkey nailed it

Monkey nailed it

Porpoises for sure. I had him explain it detail to me. The fin on the back ruled out halibut and the fact he only ever saw backs, no head, which is exactly how Porpoises break pretty much explains it all. Definetly further out than he originally explained too.

Although... the giant alaskan penguins have started their spring run early so you never know.

CanCanCase

Reaction score
large flights of pelicans are cruising the southern Oregon coast too... should be a good tuna season 50 miles offshore!

-Case

SemperFi

Reaction score
Well my wife has told me to shut up and quit talking about fishing about a dozen times in the last week, so spring should be right around the corner.:D

akriverrat

Reaction score
Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States
There were some halibut doing that surface thing just outside of Windham yesterday. Could be flatties.

-Case

reminds me of when i worked at sagaya and one of the workers there was fishing silvers or kings (cant remember the time of year) way out at the mouth of ship creek. anyway he told me of all the halibut he seen "jumping" out of the water. i said NAW halibut? he said "yea you could see there white bellies."took me a bit but i figured he was seeing beluga whales out there.:)

epw

Reaction score
Oh yes, the sounds of spring.

Seen plenty of kings caught out on the water lately. Cant wait for the bank ice to melt off the creeks and hit some steelhead.

See ya on the water!

Latest posts