Quality Fairbanks Gunsmith?

shotgunner2012

Reaction score
I am looking for a gunsmith in Fairbanks to recrown a rifle barrel.
Any suggestions? Thanks

shotgunner2012

Reaction score
Is he the gunsmith for Alaska Ammo or does he have a shop in town somewhere?

clarktar

Reaction score
I've heard good things about double broomed rifles. I think he is in North Pole.<br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk<br/><br/><br/>

Last edited:

gbflyer

Reaction score
Damaged or are you wanting to cut it down too? You can touch up a crown with the appropriately sized piloted 60 degree center tool from PTG in about 2 minutes carefully by hand. Results no different than what a GS does and you will not have to be without your firearm for 6 months...<br/><br/>They rent them at 4D Rentals in Montana if you do not want to buy it.

shotgunner2012

Reaction score
Damaged or are you wanting to cut it down too? You can touch up a crown with the appropriately sized piloted 60 degree center tool from PTG in about 2 minutes carefully by hand. Results no different than what a GS does and you will not have to be without your firearm for 6 months...<br/><br/>They rent them at 4D Rentals in Montana if you do not want to buy it.

I assume a good gunsmith with a machinist lathe could touch up a crown much better than I could by hand?

The rifle is a Remington 581S bolt action 22, it has a ring of scratches in the throat that likely was caused when the barrel was originally reamed.

I posted this on Rimfire Central and the consensus was that the crown likely is the source of poor accuracy.

gbflyer

Reaction score
Most rimfire accuracy issues are ammo related in my experience. The crown gets unjustly blamed often times. Can you put up a good picture of the crown?