PWS Deer in 2022

weber87

Reaction score
Anyone know how successful Perry/Green/Naked have been as of late with the amount of pressure they get vs the high desnisty Hawkins/hitch?

weber87

Reaction score
Anyone got a charter going out I could catch a ride on and pay a share of? Just looking to get a drop off.

weber87

Reaction score
Used to be good. But once the Whittier Tunnel opened up, they get hit pretty hard.

Talking to biologists and from my own experience the deer population seems fine the last 5 years, but I imagine they were much easier to hunt pre-tunnel.

Daveinthebush

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since 2014 or so, the yearly snow falls and trended down in Valdez, and it wasn't until last year that we had a close to normal snowfall of around 325". My bear stand is in the Valdez Arm, and I had snow much longer than I can remember out at the stand.

So yes, the deer and goats have had a pretty easy time and populations have risen. I have not seen the deer survey reports that Cordova does, but I can imagine a little loss but still good numbers.

But like I stated, if the weather is bad, people hit that group of islands pretty hard. Last friend I had go out there two years ago only saw two for the five-party group.

There are deer on other islands and the mainland. I saw two swimming from Glacier Is. to the point near Columbia Glacier a few years ago. I have also seen them in other bays on the North shore. But I'm not saying where. I'd like them to get a good start in that area.

weber87

Reaction score
I'll admit I saw a lot less tracks last year than I typically do, but the only pellet surveys cordova does don't include Perry or Green, so its entirely anecdotal.

Latest posts