ptarmigan weapon recommendation

moose338

Reaction score
For small game like that (grouse, ptarmigan, the occasional snowshoe hare) I always use my single six or rimfire rifle. The sub-sonic ammo is also very nice for this and is my go to round.

Reaction score
First year of hunting with my Ruger 22/45 Lite. Worked great out Moose hunting. Silent but deadly.

IMG_20220907_183951 Resized.jpg

IMG_20220907_184011 Resized.jpg

Only bad part was only seeing about 3 grouse in two weeks. There where tons of them in the same spot last year.

river mist

Reaction score
I know it is not a cool weapon nor light weight but a Crosman Nitro Piston breakbarrel in .177 at 1200'/sec does a great job on squirrels. For about $120 and a 4x32 scope, that's a deal. I do not use the scope, just a point and
shoot type of guy. For less than $10 a can, 500 hollow point Crosman pellets is a great deal. I see lots of spruce grouse in my hood but I do not shoot them, just squirrels.

river mist

Reaction score
I looked up the Chiappa double badger and that is really cool. How do you find a unique gun to buy, every selling site that pops up on the search says out of stock.

AKBEE

Reaction score
I looked up the Chiappa double badger and that is really cool. How do you find a unique gun to buy, every selling site that pops up on the search says out of stock.
Looks like they have them on gunbroker

z987k

Reaction score
Ya, I think I got it on gunbroker or maybe Budd's a few years ago.

Daveinthebush

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First year of hunting with my Ruger 22/45 Lite. Worked great out Moose hunting. Silent but deadly.

View attachment 2784386

View attachment 2784387

Only bad part was only seeing about 3 grouse in two weeks. There where tons of them in the same spot last year.
That handgun is an extremely light weight gun. One could shoot subsonic loads and eject manually to avoid the suppressor.

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
I've got a Savage over and under that's a .222 on top and a 20 gauge underneath.
Kind of like that chiappa double badger.
The only problem I'm having now is finding parts for it.
It doesn't want to eject the .222 cartridge once fired. My dad took a look at it but couldn't find the part that he thought was the culprit so for now it's sit's in the safe.
I do think this would be an excellent grouse gun or rabbit gun. The 20 gauge could be used for ptarmigan, grouse, or hare's, and the .222 could be used if you saw a coyote, wolf, or lynx.
I got this gun on a trade from a family friend years ago. Maybe one of these days I'll take it to an actual gunsmith and see if they can't get it functioning properly.

Daveinthebush

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got a Savage over and under that's a .222 on top and a 20 gauge underneath.
Kind of like that chiappa double badger.
The only problem I'm having now is finding parts for it.
It doesn't want to eject the .222 cartridge once fired. My dad took a look at it but couldn't find the part that he thought was the culprit so for now it's sit's in the safe.
I do think this would be an excellent grouse gun or rabbit gun. The 20 gauge could be used for ptarmigan, grouse, or hare's, and the .222 could be used if you saw a coyote, wolf, or lynx.
I got this gun on a trade from a family friend years ago. Maybe one of these days I'll take it to an actual gunsmith and see if they can't get it functioning properly.
Look up H&R Handi rifle issues. My 30/30 would not eject 50% of the rounds. Not easy roaming the woods with a cleaning rod to knock them out. I took a cleaning pad with valve lapping compound and started polishing the chamber. I also took the ejector spring out and put in a thin washer, increasing the strength a bit. There was one more modification specific to the rifle. It ejects cleanly now. No signs of any case issues. Some times a warn chamber reamer is the cause.

Latest posts