Proposed change in user ranks

Proposed change in user ranks

• I like the proposed new hierarchy of ranks

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • I don't like the proposed hierarchy

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I like the idea of more ranks but want other rank names

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • I don't care. Could we talk about fishing?

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • What's a rank?

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Eliminate ranks altogether

Votes: 32 43.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Webmaster

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm considering a change in rankings. Some members have already reached the top....in just 6 weeks. This "default" ranking that we are currently using is designed for low volume boards:

Junior member 0 posts
Member 30 posts
Senior member 100 posts

Here's my proposed hierarchy:

New member 0 posts
Junior member 10 posts
Full member 50 posts
Senior member 250 posts
Master member 500 posts

This adds a couple of ranks and raises the bars.

Another idea on rank names is to use Alaska terms. I like the idea, but it may be difficult for everyone to understand them. My inclination is to add the ranks, make the rank names generic, and continue thinking about alternate names. It's pretty easy to change them later.

Please use the poll to vote your preference on this. If you have comments, you are welcome to add them.
<20 June 2006: added poll item to allow votes on eliminating ranks altogether>

Thanks....David

Last edited:

AkHunter45

Reaction score
What about something along these lines David?

New member = Caribou
Junior Member = Black Bear
Full Member = Dall Ram
Senior Membe = Brown Bear
Master Member = Bull Moose

homerdave

Reaction score
hey...!

hey...!

i think Dall ram should be above moose, and Sitka deer should be the lowest rank.
i would also propose a designation for anybody with over 1000 posts in a year...something that suggests they spend more time online then outdoors..<grin>

Casper50

Reaction score
Why use them at all? It's just another way to keep score. What good are they? As you can tell I can care less.

homerdave

Reaction score
actually, i agree with casper50

actually, i agree with casper50

one of the things i liked most about the "old" forum was that there was no ranking....
sometimes folks equate (their own) number of posts with expertise...or come down on newbies based on number of posts...really no good reason to keep track...just an ego thing.
in all honesty i would advocate doing away with "post ranking" all together.

SeaULater

Reaction score
Junk the rankings. It encourages too many folks to post crap that shouldn't see the light of a computer screen.

Webmaster

Administrator
Reaction score
Added poll item

Added poll item

I added an additional poll choice to allow you to vote on whether to eliminate the ranking system altogether.

David

bushrat

Reaction score
Eliminate ranks

Eliminate ranks

Eliminate ranking altogether. Everyone is a "member." If in future you have a system whereby someone is a "supporter," then perhaps "supporting member" would be his/her status. If someone posts over 1000 posts in a year, then by mandate they must be a supporter <grin>.

Mark

Rufus

Reaction score
Ranks!!!

Ranks!!!

1) Amoeba 2) Gnat 3) Muskrat 4) Ungulate 5) Golden Eagle. Does'nt that sound better? Well at least it is something along the lines of hierarchy in my mind.

cold zero

Reaction score
user ranks and post count

user ranks and post count

I thought that the new forum software is great. however, it seems to me that the guys who have contributed informed information for years here as members who then had to go to a zero post count, like a newby, did not seem like the right or respectful thing to do for the longtime members.

rankings are fine, but the post count from the old site should be included in the rankings in addtion to the count from the new site. m.h.o.

Webmaster

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep...

Yep...

cold zero said:
I thought that the new forum software is great. however, it seems to me that the guys who have contributed informed information for years here as members who then had to go to a zero post count, like a newby, did not seem like the right or respectful thing to do for the longtime members.

rankings are fine, but the post count from the old site should be included in the rankings in addtion to the count from the new site. m.h.o.

I don't disagree. I'll ask our tech guy what it would cost to assemble that information. If it's not unreasonable, I'll see if we can port it over and add to what we now have here.

My assumption was that it would be unreasonably expensive, so I didn't even ask.

It's a bunch of MySQL work...beyond me....David

Jktimm

Reaction score
rank - doesn't that mean "smells bad?"

rank - doesn't that mean "smells bad?"

How about establishing ranking for $$ contributing supporters?
Then you would have admins / members / and then contributing members.
I really hate to encourage some of you guys to post simply to raise your ranking...

AkHunter45

Reaction score
Why keep a post count, it's no different than ranking in my opnion.

Longbow

Reaction score
Thanks for asking

Thanks for asking

I voted to eliminate; not because of any of the opinions provided here, or that I don’t believe it matters one iota – but because it will annoy certain individuals who, I believe, need the recognition … and that pleases me.:D

Doug from Anchorage

Reaction score
No Rankings

No Rankings

I agree with those that have said too much validity may be given to the postings of higher ranking members. That said, anyone who blindly takes one person's opinion as gospel, deserves what they get out of it!