Proposal to close caribou and moose hunting on federal land in Unit 13

Gulkana Rafting

Reaction score
When this happened in unit 23 and then in unit 26, 2016 I think I sounded the alarm that this would becoming to unit 13 soon. Lots of folks said I was overreacting but AHTNA has a proposal out to commonage all of their traditional lands. I have not read all the information yet but if this is not a RED FLAG I not sure what is.

The closure in unit 23 back in 2016 blew up and we replaced by lower bag limits but thesis a trend that I am sure we ill be seeing more of.

Not Good!

Walt

AGL4now

Unavailable
Reaction score

AGL4now

Unavailable
Reaction score
Not Good!

Walt

Well.......that depends. Sounds great to those who qualify. Think of all the Alaska F&G regulation actions that are now totally accepted.......but super sucked, when first implemented. Actually nearly all of them. Change happens.......we adapt, often kicking n'screaming pissing and moaning, but we adapt.

Those who don't adapt, find it is surprisingly easy to live by our own moral decisions........just avoid getting caught. and even if caught, the fines are a massive hysterical joke.

Arcticwildman

Reaction score
Interesting post.........having zero to do with which side of this issue a person is on the content is totally misleading. It is interesting that "WE" have all become skilled at this twisted and misleading propaganda.

What is this twisted or misleading propaganda? Please explain. The issue is very simple. Lands that are supposed to be owned and managed for the use of all people irregardless of where they live are being taken away and used for special interests of those who live nearby.

AGL4now

Unavailable
Reaction score
What is this twisted or misleading propaganda? Please explain. The issue is very simple. Lands that are supposed to be owned and managed for the use of all people irregardless of where they live are being taken away and used for special interests of those who live nearby.

Your "Thread Title".......Proposal to close caribou and moose hunting on federal land in Unit 13

It is not proposed to be CLOSED......it would remain open........but restricted. Big difference between totally closed, and OPEN but restricted.

hoosier06

Reaction score
What is the best outlet or course of action to try and push back against this? More special treatment for select groups is exactly what we need.....

brule

Reaction score
Even worse it's proposed by a guy that makes ALOT of money and hunts for trophy/sport.

Bear

Reaction score
Hmm but I thought you all were pro subsistence

AGL4now

Unavailable
Reaction score
What is the best outlet or course of action to try and push back against this?

Choose.........Option a.) Piss and moan and send money to some group to fight it. Option b.) Start shopping for a track of land there, well outside any town of 5,000 humans. Buy as large a piece as you can, and put it into some kind of family trust. Option c.) Tell yourself it will be all better in 30 or 40 years. which will be the choice your children and grandchildren will wish you had made......???

Remember all that federal land was "FREE" at one point. I homesteaded Federal land up there, long-long-long ago.

hoosier06

Reaction score
Another reason why hunters at large lose is exemplified in the short life that this thread has had at this point. Most of these post are a pissing match.

AGL4now

Unavailable
Reaction score
Even worse it's proposed by a guy that makes ALOT of money and hunts for trophy/sport.

Not even slightly relevant. He could be a Mega "Billionaire" and earn three hundred million dollars a month.........as long as he lives in unit #13 and where he lives is outside a town of 5,000 population, he qualifies for Federal Subsistence hunting & Fishing.

AGL4now

Unavailable
Reaction score
Another reason why hunters at large lose is exemplified in the short life that this thread has had at this point. Most of these post are a pissing match.

Hunters loose because they simply don't care enough to fight. They want someone else to do the fight. The same reason the Gun Grabbers are winning.......little by little.....inch by inch they just keep fighting and fighting........and gun owners send money to some double-crossing, feather-bedding ineffective group, and tell themselves, "Well I did my part".

Arcticwildman

Reaction score
Your "Thread Title".......Proposal to close caribou and moose hunting on federal land in Unit 13

It is not proposed to be CLOSED......it would remain open........but restricted. Big difference between totally closed, and OPEN but restricted.

Oh spare me. You know exactly what the intent is of this proposal and the point of the post. This is just like what happened in unit 23 where everybody except locals were locked out. That is a closure in anybody's book except yours.

Directly from the fed website: Temporary Special Action request WSA19-03, submitted by Paul Rude, requests that the Board close Federal public lands in Unit 13 to the hunting of caribou and moose except by Federally qualified subsistence users for the 2019–2020 season.

Closing it to everybody except fed qualified hunters who live in the area is closing it to the public. They are called PUBLIC owned lands for a reason, they are not private hunting grounds for a select few.

Reaction score

There’s nothing special or unusual in that Federal management policy’s dictate that to qualify for subsistence hunting/trapping/fishing on any and all Fed lands and waters, you must reside in the area. It’s been their stance since the start, and is no surprise or nothing new.

I don’t like it, but it’s the way of the Feds, on all Fed management areas.

The Feds restricting sports hunting is what you fellas should be arguing about and just why they did, because few here are qualified to hunt any other tags on these lands.

The Feds tier things as commercial/subsistence/ closure, knocking off sports h7nting first, and when target populations are low, they stop subsistence hunting..........it’s the same on all Fed management and isn’t gonna change, not yesterday, ain’t today, ain’t gonna be tomorrow.

The State maintains that all residents can Subsist any where they happen to be, not so with the Feds.......old fight, been 49 years since 1971......and a thorn in all our collecting hunting azzs

AGL4now

Unavailable
Reaction score
So......if this is a problem that impacts you, and you could "CLEARLY" see it coming. Question: Who "Exactly" should you blame....???

Are you so naïve as to think this is not coming to all the game units. And if they fail this time, do you think your problem is solved....??? If so, for how long......??? Do you have children who hunt......???

How hard is it to become a "Federally qualified Subsistence Hunter"......??? Easy.....just move.

Kind'a like Non-residents have to do, to have better access to "all Alaska Hunting" including Grizzly and Mt. Goats. They got'ta move.

Did you know that almost everyone living in Game Unit #7 could have Federal Subsistence Rights. Did you know we get to start moose hunting season 10 days ahead of all other Alaska residents........now is that "Fair". We get every year a Caribou permit. Everyone else has to put in for the Draw. Is that fair....??? Did I mention I have a nice tract of land in GMU #7 for sale, it even has a waterfalls.

See we all get to live where we choose, advantages to each choice.

I guarantee you when it is all over the Federal Government will do a I darn well pleases. And even worse......over time the Federal Government will continue to "STEAL" rights that were "Granted" unto the individual states.

Oh spare me. You know exactly what the intent is of this proposal and the point of the post. This is just like what happened in unit 23 where everybody except locals were locked out. That is a closure in anybody's book except yours.

Directly from the fed website: Temporary Special Action request WSA19-03, submitted by Paul Rude, requests that the Board close Federal public lands in Unit 13 to the hunting of caribou and moose except by Federally qualified subsistence users for the 2019–2020 season.

Closing it to everybody except fed qualified hunters who live in the area is closing it to the public. They are called PUBLIC owned lands for a reason, they are not private hunting grounds for a select few.

Arcticwildman

Reaction score
The federal preference is flawed and needs to be changed. The closure in unit 23 was a complete and total sham. F&G even said there was zero biological basis for it. Non local harvest was statisticly insignificant compared to local harvest yet the federal subsistance board ignored that small fact.
It was a land grab based on a faulty federal directive and yes, many people knew it was coming to unit 13. We all saw the writing on the wall.