Prince William Sound Black Bear

weber87

Reaction score
Where are people going to hunt black bear out there?

We took our boat and cruised through some bays and didn't go much further than Culross. Looking for any advice.

kwackkillncrew

Reaction score
They get hunted all over the sounds. Most of the hunting happens in the spring time when they come out and are on the beaches looking for food.

weber87

Reaction score
I primarily hunt in the fall, right after the fish go away. Prefer the blueberry feasting bears over the hide. Late September

Last edited:

Daveinthebush

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Streams then berries. They feast on them on the slopes. Right now, it is pretty greasy on those slopes with all the rain. Visibility is even tough with the fog. They are out there, not quite time to head up yet to the dens yet so probably near the shores.

weber87

Reaction score
I'm gathering not a lot of people hunt that area for black bear in the fall. Sounds like most people hunt for deer or are heading to the islands for Brown Bear

Brian M

***** Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm gathering not a lot of people hunt that area for black bear in the fall. Sounds like most people hunt for deer or are heading to the islands for Brown Bear

I personally like to hunt in the alpine in the fall, ideally relatively far away from salmon streams. I don't know how long it takes for a fish-eating bear to get the fish taste out of their meat, but I definitely want a berry bear if I'm hunting in the fall.

weber87

Reaction score
How far out of Whittier are you going? I've hiked up pretty high but you dont get much visibility down below with how thick it can get around there.

AKfowler

Reaction score
On a trip out earlier this month we saw eight black bears, seven of which were near shoreline. Some were on islands, others on mainland, didn't seem to matter much. I'm sure there are more up high but the foliage is so lush and thick this time of year it's pretty tough to spot them at elevation. By the time season opens in mid-September it'll be a little easier, and by October it'll be a lot easier to find them on the hillsides and mountains.

Brian M

***** Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
How far out of Whittier are you going? I've hiked up pretty high but you dont get much visibility down below with how thick it can get around there.

Sorry, I should have clarified. When looking for an alpine berry bear, I don't hunt the Sound. I target the Kenai Mountains. I hunt the Sound in May.

Daveinthebush

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Our weather this time of year is another factor. Right now everything is a soaked. We are on a flood watch right now. Slopes are slippery. Crampons are a must. The wet grass going up is one thing! Comming down it's like waking on ice. Finding a dry place to camp is not going to happen.

weber87

Reaction score
I should have clarified. I hunt the area often. Very familiar with the wet environment and timing of the year.

Looking for some help understanding how black bear are hunted during the fall when they leave the beaches. Glassing in PWS seems tricky due to the terrain. So I was wondering is there a different method people are taking or am I hunting the wrong area.