Ponder this...

rippinlip

Reaction score
Here is a question too ponder on a wet, windy night:
If you were sentenced to "One fly Purgatory" what would that one fly be? It would be most interesting if that fly (with variations in size and colors) would be used from here to New Zealand, rivers to small ponds, saltwater to spring creeks, and everything in between.

Scottsum

Reaction score
Ummm...

Ummm...

I guess I'd have to say either an Adams (parachute or irresistible) or a big black and olive articulated leech. If I was spending purgatory in Alaska, I'd definitely opt for the leech. If I could travel, I think I'd choose the Adams.

jakec5253

Reaction score
Just one

Just one

I would go with the wolly bugger. You could use it in black or olive for trout, and pink or chartreuse for salmon. I don't think there is a more versatile fly.

Jake

danattherock

Reaction score
I am with Jake.

Wooly buggers for me. Seems I read that Lefty Kreh had caught over a hundred species on the wb.

ak_powder_monkey

Reaction score
I'd go with a baitfish pattern I think, every game fish I know of will take a minnow pattern at some time

If I could have all sizes and colors I'd go with the wooly bugger too I think

Wyo2AK

Reaction score
Wooly bugger - no pondering required.

As already mentioned, between natural and attractor colors you can tempt anything that swims.

I'll go one step further and say that I'd go with a beadhead, flashabou, olive wooly bugger. Ponds, lakes, creeks, rivers, wherever - if I ever get to New Zealand, that'll be the first fly I tie on. Probably a size 6.

Give me a flybook filled with nothing else (including a few BIG buggers to handle the salt) and I'd happily fish my way around the world. Come to think of it, I have one flybook that's pretty much filled with nothing else. Guess I'm set. :D

Last edited:

ak_powder_monkey

Reaction score
Lets see I've caught the following on a WB

-King
-Silver
-Chum
-Pink
-Sockeye
-Rainbow Trout
-Northern Pike
-Arctic Grayling
-Dolly Varden
-Cutthroat Trout
-Whitefish

Missing a few still... Like Lake Trout and Burbot... Gotta get the burbot...

As you can tell I don't do much fishing out of Alaska

rippinlip

Reaction score
For me it would most definately be a clouser. Especially since saltwater covers most of the planet. :)

FishnPhil

Reaction score
I don't know about Alaska, but I never ever leave home without some #18 beadhead flashback pheasant tails around here. That's my skunk buster! :D

flying ties

Reaction score
Purgatory

Purgatory

Purgatory? I can only hope that purgatory consist of fly fishing:)

However, I would have to ask the creator, or whoever was holding me in such a state, if I would be in salt or fresh water.

If fresh - no question for me, I choose the wooly bugger.

If salt - I got to take the clouser.

If the almighty was so kind to bless me by telling me I would be salmon fishing, I choose pink, but don't really care about the pattern!!!