Pinks in Hope timing question

biglou001

Reaction score
I want to take my grandson down to Hope to teach him how to fish. When do the pinks show up in good numbers? Anybody been down there yet this year?

AK Ray

Reaction score
Reaction score
Pinks are being caught from both sides in Valdez, got a first hand report from this last weekend posted on FB Page on 5 July:

Today in Valdez: Leland Robertson found some shoreline success with a few pink salmon in Valdez, this one from the city dock fishing pier. Thanks for the report Leland!

10351596_715284435184251_160624993361880037_n.jpg

He said he caught some near Allison Point also, was using Kodiak Custom Fish Tackle GI skirted spinners.

biglou001

Reaction score
I seldom go there before mid July. I try to skip the third weekend due to the wagon wheel run and little parking around town that saturday.

I'm glad you reminded me of the Wagon Wheel Run. I've been down there when this was going on and it's a mad house.

Looking forward to putting a fly rod in my grandson's hands and letting him learn how to drift a fly....

Thanks for all the info to all of you. Love this board...

limon32

Reaction score
I usually go during the big dipnetting weekends to get out of town and have done well, I'm thinking that would be by next weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biglou001

Reaction score
I like drifting either a green or purple wooly bugger or egg sucking leech. The water is usually clear enough to watch the pinks strike them as they drift in front of them. Lots of fun. Looking forward to it....

limon32

Reaction score
I like to use pink or chartreuse or any combination of the two, I use coho flies meant for red fishing and drift them sort of like flipping for reds. As the previous poster mentioned you can watch them actually hit them. Cut them down so they are only about an inch long. The hope pinks are small and bigger lures tend to spook them in the clear water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGL4now

Unavailable
Reaction score
Big Wagon Wheel Run carnival/festival this weekend. Wild Women, Pancake Feed Sat. AM. and bunch of LOUD music from the Sea View Booze and Café joint. Millions and millions of humans wandering around enjoying the "Wilderness" experience. Maybe a few horny black bears.

trailblazersteve

Reaction score
Had a great time. Maybe too great of a time...
157172v.jpg

Left Eagle River at 4:00am got to Hope at 6:00am and had the river to our selves..
205tds1.jpg

By 9:00am we had our fill of catching 50-60 fish and the rains started..
63rora.jpg

Was back home by noon after stopping for some grease. Had an absolute blast with the kiddo. No traffic going down and TONS of traffic coming at us on the way back. Yellow/White Coho's were diffently the choice of fly's. Brought 1/2 & 3/4 oz weights and noticed right away the 3/4 oz where the way to go. Swift little river. Thanks AGL4now for the report and heads up on the activities, diffently no camp spots left..