Pike around the valley?

homer907

Reaction score
Hi I have done plenty of pike fishing in the winter but I have never tried in the summer I was wondering if anyone could tell me a good place I could go to fish from shore. I do not have a canoe so I am willing to hike in a few miles to fish I was thinking possibly the nancy lakes system? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Daveintheburbs

Reaction score
Go to Red shirt and use the rental canoes if they are still open. You just hike in with the paddles and PFDs. Not much in the way of size, but lots of them.

alexl

Reaction score
Memory Lake has quite a few and they are becoming more active as winter approaches. My boys and I went out last Saturday and got five foot and a half pike in a little over an hour.

Abob

Reaction score
Can you get an 18ft boat onto Memory? Any motor restrictions?

Thanks

Burntfrog

Reaction score
whats a good bait to use for pike in the summer? What about ice fishing for them? Herring?

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
whats a good bait to use for pike in the summer? What about ice fishing for them? Herring?

Personally I preffer Hooligan but Herring works good too.
For winter fishing it is hard to beat one of my homade quickstrike rigs. Easy to build and they work great on a tip up or a rod.
If your anywhere near Soldotna I'll hook you up with one or two for free.
They also like spoons and a Rapala can also be a deadly pike bait.
I am making my own jigs to try this winter. Just like my saltwater stuff only smaller.
Might have to set up a trip with HomerDave and his son for some Pike fishing this winter.

Burntfrog

Reaction score
Personally I preffer Hooligan but Herring works good too.
For winter fishing it is hard to beat one of my homade quickstrike rigs. Easy to build and they work great on a tip up or a rod.
If your anywhere near Soldotna I'll hook you up with one or two for free.
They also like spoons and a Rapala can also be a deadly pike bait.
I am making my own jigs to try this winter. Just like my saltwater stuff only smaller.
Might have to set up a trip with HomerDave and his son for some Pike fishing this winter.

Im in Anchorage and probably wont be headed down to Soldotna again this fall, but I really appreciate the offer! Do you have any pictures by chance of your set up or describe what you use? I caught my first pike last winter after living here 32 years, I had just never targeted them before and was using a double hook setup in plug cut herring...after frying it up I told myself immediately that I need to get more pike, very tasty!!

I also tried some Krocodile spoons out on memory lake but had no luck, did manage a couple nice dollies on swedish pimple though.

alexl

Reaction score
We always use bright number 3 vibrax in the summer time, hooligan in the winter.