Pheasant Hunting

Nasifg

Reaction score
Is there anywhere in Alaska that has a pheasant farm where you can pay to shoot a couple birds?

cdubbin

Reaction score
Homer has quite a few, especially in the hay fields east of town...I was doing some building work for a guy, he'd go out in his backyard and shoot one for dinner about every night...

kwackkillncrew

Reaction score
i dont think there are any game farms in homer though. Looks like there used to be a place out on point mckenzie but not sure if they are open or not.

kenaibow fan

Reaction score
I know there are some around down Pt. Mac road but they are not plentiful. I think they were escapes from the farm there. Don’t know anything about the farm specifically. I have also “heard” of pheasants in delta junction but can’t verify that.

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
I've seen pheasants a few times in Ninilchik but they were certainly pheasant somebody had raised and released.
The exception of some of the large grain farms in Delta Alaska does not have the proper environment for pheasants. Business primarily live in areas where they can eat remnant grain crops that have spilled off the combines or been left in the fields for some reason.
Did a couple of turkey hunts in Kasilof once several years ago. Ended up with five wild turkeys. Of course those were also turkey's someone else had raised and released.
Couldn't tell you if there's a game farm out there that raises pheasant though.
All of the pheasants, turkeys, etc. that I have seen over the years have been ones where someone bought the chicks from the local feed store or eggs for hatching and raised them on their own.
Some of them intending to release them and some of them probably just couldn't bring themselves to butcher an animal they raised.

kenaibow fan

Reaction score
I've seen pheasants a few times in Ninilchik but they were certainly pheasant somebody had raised and released.
The exception of some of the large grain farms in Delta Alaska does not have the proper environment for pheasants. Business primarily live in areas where they can eat remnant grain crops that have spilled off the combines or been left in the fields for some reason.
Did a couple of turkey hunts in Kasilof once several years ago. Ended up with five wild turkeys. Of course those were also turkey's someone else had raised and released.
All of the pheasants, turkeys, etc. that I have seen over the years have been ones where someone bought the chicks from the local feed store or eggs for hatching and raised them on their own.
Some of them intending to release them and some of them probably just couldn't bring themselves to butcher an animal they raised.
Alaska’s environment is all wrong for both. Primarily from what I was told is that they both nest on the ground and the ground is to cold, hens can’t keep the eggs warm enough.

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
Alaska’s environment is all wrong for both. Primarily from what I was told is that they both nest on the ground and the ground is to cold, hens can’t keep the eggs warm enough.
I fully understand that they wouldn't ever take off here on their own.
But for some reason I still see some every few years that someone else has released.
I don't always have the opportunity to shoot some.
When I have they have been good eating!

4merguide

Reaction score
Of all the years I lived in Kasilof I did manage to kill two cock pheasants that wandered into my yard.....head shots with the old scope mounted Benjamin 22 cal. pellet gun. I never did see a turkey though.

Last edited:

4merguide

Reaction score
Yeah it’s too bad they don’t thrive up here. I would love to hunt them.
You and me both! I pretty much cut my teeth as a kid hunting ducks, geese, and pheasants. The fact that my uncle was the caretaker of a private duck and pheasant club didn't hurt either! What I heard was they can only handle so much cold. Which is hard to believe when the Dakotas are full of them, and it gets darn cold there too. Where I lived there used to be a few of them on the Nevada side in the foothills of Sierra Nevada mountains where there was a little bit of agriculture. It would get cold there too, but not like Dakota or Alaska cold. But I do remember a story where a guy was walking down there in the winter and came across a clutch of mature pheasants all huddled together frozen to death.

Latest posts