Personal watercraft Kachemak?

catchfish

Reaction score
Just been watching the news and articles about removing the ban on personal watercraft in Kachemak. Does anybody have an opinion on this? I personally don’t see a problem with it. I figure somebody already has plans for a rental and your company down there. Does anybody see it being an issue, if it happens I’m gonna have to go borrow one to go catch a halibut.

cdubbin

Reaction score
Yeah it's definitely been the winter controversy this year...sounds like they're leaning towards going through with it. I doubt there will be too much demand, it's always been legal in Cook Inlet, just a few miles down the road...with few to zero takers. Personally, I would allow any craft in the bay, but impose a speed limit of say, 35 MPH....

bkbaker

Reaction score
There are plenty of sport boats that go faster than 35MPH. I always felt the ban was a step too far. Skiffs, sport boats, water taxis run all over K Bay. How the ban ever took place seems unfair to the user group. Full disclosure, I don’t own one, don’t plan to, don’t plan to rent one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BQuad

Reaction score
Really don't think it will be much of an issue. Look at Whittier, legal there and rarely see any besides the tours going out, and it's a beautiful place on the right days. Legal in Seward, don't see many there, I know a few surfers use them to get to Bear Glacier. Big boats are loud and make bigger wakes. On those nice sunny days you'd want to take one out in Homer, the day breeze would make riding uncomfortable a lot of the time. A few hardy locals will probably outfit some for fishing.

bonanza

Reaction score
Personally I don’t like the things and never plan on using one. However, I don’t want people taking away my freedoms and feel I have no right to advocate taking away somebody else’s.

coop22250

Reaction score
I agree with all of the above. Just because we don’t like something or plan to engage in it we shouldn’t ban others, that’s for Cali and Seattle.

As far as clean emissions, my 35 HP 2 stroke was filthy, started it in the spring once in a cooler, never did get all the black off that cooler. The new jet skis are clean 4 strokes, I’m sure some of the old ones are not.

As far as noise, there’s nothing louder than a thunder jet, they aren’t banned

Speed wise, it’s pretty hard to maintain speed on one unless it’s glass, then if they are running fast I guess they have 360 deg view.

Congestion- I would be surprised if there’s ever more than a few per day, unless a group comes down.

Safety- well if we are going to regulate safety gonna need to ban most activities in Alaska and send everyone an Xbox.

I say go enjoy it, can’t be any more dangerous than a few of the 12-14’ skiffs ive seen (and been in) out in rough seas. Atleast you can hang on to it while it floats.

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
Just been watching the news and articles about removing the ban on personal watercraft in Kachemak. Does anybody have an opinion on this? I personally don’t see a problem with it. I figure somebody already has plans for a rental and your company down there. Does anybody see it being an issue, if it happens I’m gonna have to go borrow one to go catch a halibut.
As long as the people running them can do so safely I'm ok with it.
There's a few tricky places in the bay where even a jetski will have trouble if their not careful.
Crossing the Halibut cove reef and entering Halibut cove lagoon at the wrong tide stages are a couple of examples.
I can't imagine trying to catch one if you fall off in a 4 knt current and ice cold water.
I really don't see a rental place opening up though. For the same reasons we don't have a snowmachine rental here on the peninsula.
Liability and insurance rates.
Unless your in a tour group you can't rent a snowmachine here.
I'm guessing personal watercraft will be the same.
Can you rent them in Whittier or Seward?

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Andy82Hoyt

Reaction score
Whittier has rentals but I think they are for their tours only. Last summer I did see 2 ripping around out around eaglek.

Hopefully if people start running them in Kachemak they are knowledgeable of the area before they get going. As someone else mentioned, several places to get in trouble. whether is running aground, running over the oyster farm it’s not good for anyone.

I don’t live down that way but I’m on the water often in the winter months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BQuad

Reaction score
You can rent snowmachines up in the Valley, but I think the liability for jetski rental with cold water would be prohibitive, most places you rent jetskis are lakes or areas of ocean with warm water, sandy bottoms, and probably limited distance from the dock. No rentals I know of in Whittier/Seward.

Most freshwater owners will shy away from saltwater for corrosion issues. I think it’s a lot of worry over a very limited user group.

AK Mauler

Reaction score
It’s not the jet skis that are the problem, it’s the inconsiderate morons that ride them. Many times I’ve seen a couple guys quietly fishing when a jet ski shows up and starts doing donuts around or next to them. THAT is the problem!

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
It’s not the jet skis that are the problem, it’s the inconsiderate morons that ride them. Many times I’ve seen a couple guys quietly fishing when a jet ski shows up and starts doing donuts around or next to them. THAT is the problem!
You are 100% correct!
I've been on lakes where this has happened to me before though not in AK.
The one time this young man seemed to only know the one trick.
So over and over he kept doing the same thing for at least a couple of hours which made a lot of wake on the relatively small lake I was on.
I would guess in the cold saltwater we wouldn't see as much of that though.
Mostly just people cruising around.

BQuad

Reaction score
Unfortunately, inconsiderate morons are a worldwide problem, it’s not limited to jet ski riders. Plenty of inconsiderate boaters as well. You are free to speculate about the percentage that are morons.

I don’t own a jet ski, never have. But I did find it unfortunate that those guys doing that Alaska Wet Dog race back in ‘09 were barred from coming into Homer. Think it would have been a great stop for them.

extrema

Reaction score
My concern would be visibility. Kinda like riding a bike on the road. Hard to see and not really expected.

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
My concern would be visibility. Kinda like riding a bike on the road. Hard to see and not really expected.
Kinda like all those logs, kelp wads, etc. floating, sometimes barely, all over Kachemak bay?
I don't really see that as an issue unless as stated above it has a moronic operator cutting in front of boats or something.
I've spotted lots of driftwood etc. over the years and always managed to spot it and maneuver around just by paying attention as you should be.

Furudak

Reaction score
I really don't see a rental place opening up though. For the same reasons we don't have a snowmachine rental here on the peninsula.

It wouldn't surprise me at all- seasonally anyway. Tons of visitors in the summer. Plenty of people rent kayaks. I bet a company could have a half dozen PWC and do twice daily tours of Gull Rock, Halibut Cove (stop for a smoked salmon chowder?), and whale watching. How many boat tours do it already?

extrema

Reaction score
Kinda like all those logs, kelp wads, etc. floating, sometimes barely, all over Kachemak bay?
I don't really see that as an issue unless as stated above it has a moronic operator cutting in front of boats or something.
I've spotted lots of driftwood etc. over the years and always managed to spot it and maneuver around just by paying attention as you should be.

Huh? Just saying they'd be harder to see that's all. Never hit any logs either so I guess we're both super awesome.

Reactions: cod

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me at all- seasonally anyway. Tons of visitors in the summer. Plenty of people rent kayaks. I bet a company could have a half dozen PWC and do twice daily tours of Gull Rock, Halibut Cove (stop for a smoked salmon chowder?), and whale watching. How many boat tours do it already?
A tour group is one thing.
Renting them out so an individual can ride wherever and however they please is quite possibly another liability and insurance nightmare.
Yes they rent non motorized kayaks.
Yes some of those kayakers have had to be rescued from the bay because their inexperience got them in trouble.
In one such incident they couldn't get back into the kayak they had flipped.
You would think we would have a snowmachine rental place here on the peninsula that doesn't require you ride in a tour group. But we don't.
I was told by the dealerships it was because of insurance costs and liability issues.
Maybe somebody can figure out a way to make a PWC rental work though?

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
Huh? Just saying they'd be harder to see that's all. Never hit any logs either so I guess we're both super awesome.
Sorry didn't mean to call you out like that.
But a PWC is certainly easier to see than half the stuff floating in the bay and people avoid that stuff all the time.
That's all I was trying to say.

bonanza

Reaction score
Only concern I see is that jet skis lack steering if you let off the throttle going fast. Maybe this has been addressed with modern machines.