Penetration on Brown Bear

stevelyn

Reaction score
I have read all that I care to on the subject and I'm in disagreement for the most part. The energy theory may work well on thin-skinned creatures with explosively expanding bullets, but I think it becomes less relevant as animals get heavier and larger. Plus, I have my own experiences to draw from and prefer to have the ability to drill a hole from end-to-end.

tjen

Reaction score
Energy does not kill "its the wound left by the bullet that kills" pure and simple day after day week after week.

We need enough velocity to get the bullet to the target.
we need enough momentum (1/2 mass X velocity) to push the bullet 110% through the animal not 90% but 110%. This is for the most damaging wounds and the fastest kills. And we need the right bullet for the job at hand.

And kinetic energy, is what it is," it just goes along for the ride".

The bigest farce is energy for killing power its a marketing tool not a hunting tool and the worst measure of a cartridge effectiveness.:eek:

Murphy

Reaction score
Energy does not kill "its the wound left by the bullet that kills" pure and simple day after day week after week.

We need enough velocity to get the bullet to the target.
we need enough momentum (1/2 mass X velocity) to push the bullet 110% through the animal not 90% but 110%. This is for the most damaging wounds and the fastest kills. And we need the right bullet for the job at hand.

And kinetic energy, is what it is," it just goes along for the ride".

The bigest farce is energy for killing power its a marketing tool not a hunting tool and the worst measure of a cartridge effectiveness.:eek:

I agree with you here and well said but an error in you momentum formula , it is; P=M*V {Pee, em, vee}:)
P= momentum
M= mass (not 1/2 mass)
V= velocity

Energy (E) =1/2 M * V *V {Eeh,half em, vee, vee}:)