Pack frames

AkHunter45

Reaction score
Any good recommendations for a pack frame? I don't want to spend a ton of money on a Barney's so that isn't an option. I've already got a good back packing backpack so all I am looking for is a good frame and harness.

Bill S.

Reaction score
Hey John, Mountain View has two types of frames similary to the old Cabela's frames. I can't tell the difference between the two but there is a cost difference.

AkHunter45

Reaction score
Bill, how are the harness's on those things? I am trying to find an old Freighter style frame with a good harness on it.

Snyd

Reaction score
I was in Mountain Sports here in Fairbanks yesterday and saw a knu-pac. Really a nice freighter frame, shelf and harness.
http://www.knupac.com/products.html
The website says $130.00 retail. They make them with canoe carrying attachments, bags, etc.

Bill S.

Reaction score
John, sorry it took so long. The harness are pretty good, padding is adequate on the shoulders anbd the hip belt is well padded and wide enough. I bought one to go with that bag I got from you.

Bill S.

Reaction score
I don't rememeber and I'm in Clevelnad right now and can't look. I think one was a camptrails, and the other had a different name but was identical except color. That bag fit perfectly on the second one.

Michael Strahan

webmaster
Reaction score
Alternatives

Alternatives

You might try one of the Cabela's freighter frames. I'm not a huge fan of them compared to the Barney's frames, but you're not interested in those. The quality of the Cabela's frame has improved over the years, and it might serve your purposes for a few seasons. I have heard of some breakage by packing heavy loads of meat though.

-Mike

AkHunter45

Reaction score
Camp Trails

Camp Trails

I had used the Camp Trails Freighter for over 15 years, until i hit it with my truck and bent it all to hell. I am looking for one like it with maybe a better harness and I will modify it accordingly. I believe with the right harness, I could put one together that would be just as good as the Barney's, if not better. I will have to check around Anchorage to see if I can find one. Thanks for the help so far guys.

AKmud

Reaction score
Cabelas

Cabelas

I have one of the Cabelas "Alaskan" freighter frames/pack. My father in law has one of the Barneys big $$ packs. Between the two you can definitely see differences, but for the money, I'd have to say go with the Cabelas. My pack has been through many animals and is still is in great shape. The straps/harness system seems to be as good if not better than most and is very adjustable. I've been using it now for around 10 years and other than the occasional annoying squeak that I have to chase down, it has been trouble free.

Matt

Reaction score
Sportsman's Warehouse has a nice pack frame that has a shelf on it. If I recall, it was close to a $100. Might be worth checking out.

77hunter

Reaction score
My cousin and I each have a Bull Pac and we are both very happy with them. We have had them about 4-5 years and packed out numerous elk, some of the packs 6-7 miles one way, and have no complaints. They will run you about $180, but do have a lifetime guarantee. They are at the sportsman's show every year, and always ask me if I need any replacement parts, so you will never have to spend any more money on the pack, after you buy one. Very comfortable and very easy to tie down meat on to the pack.

Romo

Reaction score
AkHunter45 -- Just spend the $$$ on the Barney's and you won't have to worry about getting another one for a long, long time.

tv321

Reaction score
has anyone used a bull pacs from idaho?

I have not used one, but I did get one donated from them for our fundraiser in April. I will be setting up a table to sell raffle and event tickets at the Wasilla Sportsman's Warehouse on the 23rd and 24th and if you want to see it I can bring it in.

To tell you the true I thought about keeping it for myself, but that wouldn't be nice. It looks like the real deal!

Troy

6XLeech

Reaction score
I have one of the Cabelas "Alaskan" freighter frames/pack. My father in law has one of the Barneys big $$ packs. Between the two you can definitely see differences, but for the money, I'd have to say go with the Cabelas. My pack has been through many animals and is still is in great shape. The straps/harness system seems to be as good if not better than most and is very adjustable. I've been using it now for around 10 years and other than the occasional annoying squeak that I have to chase down, it has been trouble free.
Not sure this is the same Cabela's pack - 5,200 cu in - and on sale:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20770&hasJS=true

Coaldust

Reaction score
Bull-Pac

Bull-Pac

I called and talked to the folks at Bull-Pac in Lewiston, Idaho. They won't be at the show this year, but will be sending a large shipment of their various models to Mt. View this month. I'm probably going to buy one to try out this year. I like the price and the whole family business thing they have going. If it doesn't work good, I'll use it as a loaner and get a Barney's. (I have been using an old Coleman PeakII frame up to this point) Time to upgrade.

NW AK

Reaction score
Will other packs fit on the Barneys pack frame?

akhunter3

Reaction score

GrassLakeRon

Reaction score
I have used the 12 lb Cabelas, I like it a lot. Loaded it down with 70 lbs worth of gear and junk, No problem. My 3 buddys all tried it out when we hunted Colorado, and loved how it distributed the weight.

Ron