Only 71 bison out of 120 permits!!! Why?

257wby

Reaction score
...but do they really "save" an animal? Or do they often condemn said animal to a harsh and brutal death by less humane means such as predators, starvation etc? There is a reason that a certain number of big game animals need to be harvested by hunters. It's for the overall health of the heard...in most cases.

You are preaching to the choir, sir. I could not agree with you more.

tlingitwarrior

Reaction score
This was the first year they started hunting bulls in August - What effect did that have on the normal migration? Did that spook them for later in the season? Can't say for sure but who knows what the effect of the change were.

I would venture to say that early season was deceiding factor on low success. They were hunted for 8 months straight ~ skittish and spooked critters fer sure

Chisana

Reaction score
I would suspect that a fair number of prime tags go to PETA types. They can spend a few bucks for the drawing and then if drawn have proof that they personally saved a bison, sheep, or whatever.

They are a devious bunch.

There are a number of reasons why this is highly unlikely. Take your tinfoil hat off.

Marc Taylor

Reaction score
Winners probably realize what kind of a road hunt it is and that you are merely taking a turn at animals getting bounced from farm to farm. It is a shot at a bison, I guess, but I'd rather hunt one, personally, off the grid.

Chances are some actual hunters draw the permit and then realize they are trying to swim laps in the kiddie pool. They get discouraged at dealing with farmers and private land and bag it.

I mean, it ccooouuuulllldddd happen...

Taylor

Chisana

Reaction score
Winners probably realize what kind of a road hunt it is and that you are merely taking a turn at animals getting bounced from farm to farm. It is a shot at a bison, I guess, but I'd rather hunt one, personally, off the grid.

Chances are some actual hunters draw the permit and then realize they are trying to swim laps in the kiddie pool. They get discouraged at dealing with farmers and private land and bag it.

I mean, it ccooouuuulllldddd happen...

Taylor

That was pretty much my impression formed after two trips up there to fill my tag. Most over rated hunt in the state.

Having said that I would go again to help out a buddy, but would go into it with the correct mindset now.

Chisana

Reaction score
257wby- I''ve wondered the same.

Name one. And for the record, our hats are made of aluminum. Rookie mistake. You should be ashamed.

1) Most of the "prime tags" are actually hunted. Take a look at sheep permits, very few people who are drawn choose not to hunt those permits.

2) You have to purchase a hunting license to apply for the drawing permits - antis are unlikely to do that.

3) Antis best friend is publicity. If they were successfully absorbing draw permits they would be publicizing their results. That ain't happening.

There's three reasons for you yog.

Frostbitten

Reaction score
Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soo
1) Most of the "prime tags" are actually hunted. Take a look at sheep permits, very few people who are drawn choose not to hunt those permits.

2) You have to purchase a hunting license to apply for the drawing permits - antis are unlikely to do that.

3) Antis best friend is publicity. If they were successfully absorbing draw permits they would be publicizing their results. That ain't happening.

There's three reasons for you yog.

You are dreaming my friend. Anti's will buy a license in a heartbeat in order to "save a critter". What do you mean by "prime tags"?

Chisana

Reaction score
You are dreaming my friend. Anti's will buy a license in a heartbeat in order to "save a critter". What do you mean by "prime tags"?

"Prime tags" was the term used by .257 wby when he brought up this topic. I've never seen any evidence of what you speak. Just look at the stats for sheep and Kodiak brown bear permits. Most people who draw actually hunt those permits. What permits are anti-hunters getting?

Brian M

***** Admin
Reaction score

His point about publicity is a solid one. If they were doing this, they would be publishing their "saved" animals in advertisements that in turn ask for donations. I'm sure it happens on a limited basis, but it would be on the top of their fundraising materials if it was standard procedure.

As for "prime tags", he means hunts like Delta bison and Tok sheep that are highly coveted, hard-to-draw permits. The rate of winners actually hunting these tags is higher than the average drawing permit.

Chisana

Reaction score
His point about publicity is a solid one. If they were doing this, they would be publishing their "saved" animals in advertisements that in turn ask for donations. I'm sure it happens on a limited basis, but it would be on the top of their fundraising materials if it was standard procedure.

As for "prime tags", he means hunts like Delta bison and Tok sheep that are highly coveted, hard-to-draw permits. The rate of winners actually hunting these tags is higher than the average drawing permit.

Yes, there probably are a few ant-hunters that do this, but in general antis - be they anti-hunting or anti-gun will not go to the trouble to try and take away our rights and freedoms that we do to protect them. How many people do you think are donating the cost of an NRA, SCI, RMEF, etc. lifetime membership to an anti organization? Not many.

tlingitwarrior

Reaction score
I'm with Chisana on this. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it certainly has grown into an urban myth. Not only do you have to buy license and apply ~ but you have to win! You have to buck the odds that we have to do in order to win one of these premium tags. If they did, it would be the cover of their website, touting how they gamed the system.

I'll wager that if it has happened here, you could count the number of tags on a hand that only has 2 fingers.

twodux

Reaction score

Good to see those anti's supporting the management of game then. As was pointed out earlier, the number of tags issued has a fudge factor built in by extrapolation of success rates to make up for such things. If enough animals don't get taken one year, they can raise the number of tags they issue the next year to adjust.

Frostbitten

Reaction score
Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soo
"Prime tags" was the term used by .257 wby when he brought up this topic. I've never seen any evidence of what you speak. Just look at the stats for sheep and Kodiak brown bear permits. Most people who draw actually hunt those permits. What permits are anti-hunters getting?

I'm sure they apply for all different species. I know for a fact of some "opinionated" individuals that are adamantly opposed to hunting and harvesting female animals, and I know for a fact that they have drawn permits and bragged about saving cows and ewes. These guys aren't PETA as they do hunt, but the practice exists.

twodux

Reaction score
Another thing the anti's would be doing in our favor if they were buying licenses to try to draw tags and save animals........The more "HUNTING" licenses sold, the more important hunters as a whole become.

Say Alaska has 50,000 actual hunters. and say there are 200,000 registered voters. So a politician might look at that and say, well, hunters only represent 1 out of 4 voters in the State. Their opinion might be important, but that other 75 % might be more important as far as getting me elected again.

But if 25,000 anti's bought hunting licenses to try to draw tags to prevent hunters from drawing them, we then all of a sudden, there are 75,000 "hunters" and that would be a much more formidable voting block come election time.

Now I know, most antis are from out of state. So if they weren't residents, they couldn't vote. But it would still have an impact of sorts. For starters their hunting licenses cost a lot more than a resident license, so they'd be contributing a lot of money to State coffers. That has an impact. I'm sure officials have little idea if a license is bought by a hunter or an anti.

In the long run, it wouldn't make much difference to hunters if antis were applying. Antis would be contributing money for management, and the hunt managers can just issue more tags to make up for those not actually hunting. Win win for hunters.