North Slope ground squirrels

TexasBoy

Reaction score
So I did the drive up to the north slope a month ago and along most of the road there was these little ground squirrel things everywhere. Anyone know exactly what they are? Thanks!

AGL4now

Unavailable
Reaction score
Native's call them, Sic'Sic Puck (aka Parka Squirrel) or Arctic Ground Squirrel

homerdave

Reaction score
Hide or meat must be salvaged
Loved telling that to clients when I was guiding. We'd be sitting waiting quietly and they would see a parky squirrel and want to shoot it with their big-azz rifle. "You need to salvage either the meat or hide... shoot it with that and there's nothing left, I'll have to turn you in"

limon32

Reaction score
Hide or meat must be salvaged
Loved telling that to clients when I was guiding. We'd be sitting waiting quietly and they would see a parky squirrel and want to shoot it with their big-azz rifle. "You need to salvage either the meat or hide... shoot it with that and there's nothing left, I'll have to turn you in"

That's awesome! I was trying to shoot one up there this spring to skin and couldn't find any, when I was up there last fall they were all over the place!

Brian M

***** Admin
Reaction score
Never eaten a normal squirrel, but ground squirrels are fine. Ate one mixed in with soy sauce and rice, and recall it being mild. The thing was a pain to clean, though - more fat than meat come fall.