No surprise here for the SC Kings…

urbanhillbilly

Reaction score
I wonder how many guides see the need to shut it down altogether vs making it C&R… It’s obvious that the state would rather compromise the fishery for the sake of commerce, but I’m curious about the people who are actually in the industry

kwackkillncrew

Reaction score
if they are responsible they wouldnt be offering CnR trips. Everyone will argue how ever they are using the fishery doesnt effect it. But we will never truly know unless its all shut down and see. Guides and physican will argue about CnR rates and all that jazz but in the end there is always mortality and why worth the mortality for a few bucks.

urbanhillbilly

Reaction score
I believe it needs to be shut down for a time to actually get a number so we can see. This would also require enforcement which is another topic altogether

kenaibow fan

Reaction score
If they are going to shut it down they need to do it long enough to see if they still have any 5 or 6 year ocean fish left in the gene pool. And if there is then shut it down based on the oldest ocean year fish identified and allow a couple cycles. So I would be think 12 years???? It’s a pipe dream and it won’t happen. But I would think if they truly wanted to protect the genes pool and what not that is how I would think it should be approached.

river mist

Reaction score
And keeps the guides a little happy....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I'm no expert and relatively new to the management of the Kenai River king salmon, been following it for 15 years. For the last 10, I kept thinking the returns would slowly increase with stricter management but that has not happened. The runs continually remain low with an occasional bump. What I'm getting at is why would anyone want to be a guide with the continual trend of the Kenai River king salmon.

urbanhillbilly

Reaction score
I'm no expert and relatively new to the management of the Kenai River king salmon, been following it for 15 years. For the last 10, I kept thinking the returns would slowly increase with stricter management but that has not happened. The runs continually remain low with an occasional bump. What I'm getting at is why would anyone want to be a guide with the continual trend of the Kenai River king salmon.

Precisely my point. If you work in the industry I’m sure you have a lot more knowledge than most people and along with that I would think there would be a certain level of respect and concern for the fishery. I understand that it’s the Kenai River and it will always be famous for the King salmon from its past… But that’s just it, the past. The present day salmon don’t match up to what it was even 15-20 years ago.

kenaibow fan

Reaction score

The sad thing is it’s not just the kings. Arguably every run minus the pinks are in trouble. Yeah the reds will survive because it’s managed for commercial yield so they will get there fill and let enough by to keep the run profitable. But everything else is going down hill fast. If you really want to see heads roll let the red run tank and see how fast they shit that river down. I suspect the salt guys are having a bigger impact on returns then is actually being addressed or talked about.

4merguide

Reaction score
The river should have been shut down many, many years ago as soon as they saw a problem and couldn't get a handle on it. I mean, it was only one of the greatest king fisheries in the world....right? But hey, politics and the almighty dollar is what wins out at the end of the day. It seems they'd just as soon kill them all as long as it makes a few big wigs happy.........for a while. Can you say.....let's kill the goose that lays the golden eggs?