New to Alaska gardening

HarrietHappy

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new to Alaska and fairly new to food gardening. Looking forward to any and all tips from the wise ones:):). I would also love a perennial garden. My first question.... can I grow Hosta in Alaska?

mudbuddy

Reaction score
Yes. Protect the roots a bit.

Along the footer of the house is a good spot.
If out in a bed, bed down with dry leaves & cover with snow when shoveling :)
Big bright green is on the South side of the house , not along the footer, gets a lot of snow cover when I shovel off the deck.
Small duller green in on the N side, less sun & colder soil, but along the footer helps. I shovel snow over the beds when I can.

Got thes started years ago from my Mom, she brought some up from the Pittsburgh area.
today's pics :

Attachments

• hosta2.jpg
    hosta2.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 0
  • hosta1.jpg
    hosta1.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0

HarrietHappy

Reaction score
Wonderful! Thank you so much. I did want to plant on the north side of the house near the footers so this helps!

mark oathout

Reaction score
I would note that when I plant, it gets cold, windy, and not like summer at all. No seriously, as you can see by our weather today, we always fight the environment up here. With warmer season crops do everything you can to warm the soi, beans, tomatoes, zucchini, etc. Other crops, like Peas, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, potatoes, all do well even during our most miserable summers.

HarrietHappy

Reaction score
I would note that when I plant, it gets cold, windy, and not like summer at all. No seriously, as you can see by our weather today, we always fight the environment up here. With warmer season crops do everything you can to warm the soi, beans, tomatoes, zucchini, etc. Other crops, like Peas, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, potatoes, all do well even during our most miserable summers.

Thank you so much. Good to know! :)

Latest posts