New Phantom Dealer, Forum Sponsor = Great Savings

akgravelpumper

Reaction score
swaping an impellor in any single stage, merc, hami 212, at, berkley, omc turbojet, shouldn't take 2 hours. shouldn't take 2 hurs in a 3 stage either, (hami 773, kodiak, pro flo, ) or scott 2stage for that matter. there are exceptions with extreme use situations or excessive corrosion or damage but in normal condition none of these really take more than an hour.
how many years has garret been specializing in sportjet liner replacement?

Halibutgrove

Reaction score
swaping an impellor in any single stage, merc, hami 212, at, berkley, omc turbojet, shouldn't take 2 hours. shouldn't take 2 hurs in a 3 stage either, (hami 773, kodiak, pro flo, ) or scott 2stage for that matter. there are exceptions with extreme use situations or excessive corrosion or damage but in normal condition none of these really take more than an hour.
how many years has garret been specializing in sportjet liner replacement?

Garret as been installing SS liners since 2006. The time it takes to remove components on a jet is model and condition dependent but his rate is the same no matter what. ~$220 if you want to just drop the boat and leave. As I stated, if you have the tools and capability, pull the impeller and other components and bring them in and save a few bucks.

Kevin Turner

Reaction score
Gentleman, if I may add :)
I've changed many SJ imps/rings over the years. Sure some go smooth, but many do not. Toss in checking/filling oil, if needed-adjusting cables, gravel rashed or siezed torx screws, siezed impellers, bent stomp grates....Well you get the picture.

Like all things mechanicial, stuff happens. Nothing worse than starting a project you think will be a breeze only to find yourself in a dogfight with a broken torx screw or ?? I bill a min of one hour and sched two hours for the unforseen.

chriso

Reaction score
I keep hearing this over and over,,,,the Merc,sportjet must be a piece of junk........

They sure can be tempermental, and not many here in south central now squat about them. When we were in full swing with our tour operations we couldnt stay on top of maintenance with them until we came across John (akgravelpumper) In my experience, he's THE local authority on all things SJ... (and other jetboats as well) if a person wanted to verify his capabilities beyond my recomendations, Konrad Scott and Doug Riddle are a couple more references that come to mind. (you'll see him and Garretts predecessor Alvin Millard both mentioned on Scotts website if you care to look) Bottom line is we looked extensively at becoming our own Mercury repair center in order to assure ourselves of a higher degree of service than was available here locally... its a mighty expensive proposition. At one point we were a mercury authorized factory installer, it took me about a years worth of phone calling and a fairly large check to them to get approved, even then we werent authorized to do warranty repairs. I cant believe the hoops they make you jump through to be authorized, and reconcile that with the low caliber or service from some of the local options we tried. So here in alaska it seems to me a question of do you want to make your motor run, or do you want to have it covered by a waranty and see it sit all summer. I wont let anyone but John or Riddle's guys work on my SJ, or my other boats for that matter. Although I should point out that Garrett does all welding repairs and does all our impellor work.

So, piece of junk? They actually perform really well, untl they dont! Then they can be made reliable, but that takes some knowledge and doing. HG, I'm not sure Garrett will have the time to continue to provide our welding repairs and tackle that level of committment to become a warranty center. You'd do well to work a deal with John and get him to run the diagnostics and engine / electrical repairs portion of your operation.

Kevin Turner

Reaction score
Being most of my Sport Jets have gone to Bass Fisherman, they're not put to the test like the Alaska & Canada users. That said, with the very few failures we've seen, cold water was the common factor.

chriso

Reaction score
Well, in all fairness to Mercury on the cratered ones, they seem to even have won back the faith of a lot of guys who did experience the problems. My issue was how they warrantied the original 2, then wouldnt honor the two replacements they gave us which did the same thing. We missed the whole first season on one pair, the replcements got wet in the fall and sat over winter, then failed within a ouple weeks of putting them in service and they refused to make them right for us. We found some out of production 240 powerheads to put in them and they run like champs. And there was a lot of flap back then about issues with their oil metering system on the 200 optis. The nozzle and bucket bushings and bucket reverse extensions and stainless sleeves and reedsets are all things I'd do upfront if I ever purchase another. But I'm glad to own one of the 250's so its likely not going to be an issue for me!

Sasquatch

Reaction score
Are these the same boats they sell at Compeau's up in Fairbanks? Thanks.

Halibutgrove

Reaction score
Definitely not the same!

Definitely not the same!

Are these the same boats they sell at Compeau's up in Fairbanks? Thanks.

Sasquatch, Phantom Boat are NOT the same boats that Compeau sells in Fairbanks. Their boats are built overseas and then outfitted here in the U.S. They were once a dealer for Phantom but that relationship ended a number of years ago. Phantom offers much more ability to customize the boat to suite the needs of the customer. Check out the latest build projects at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Phantom-Jet-Boats/155770674465251. The latest 60/40 model with the SPJ power package will be on display at the Anchorage Sportsman Show. We will have two models at the Fairbanks show as well.

Alaskanmutt

Reaction score
I thought that Compeaus sold SJX.
SJX Jet Boats Inc. is located in Orofino, Idaho.
If they are the same boat, did Idaho seceed from the nation?

Or are you thinking about a different boat?

AlaskanOutdoorsman

Reaction score
Yep.. SJX is a copy of an older model Phantom with a few small changes and their hull (and what else we dont know) is made overseas. It also costs more. This has been verified with Compeaus many times by many people. Use the search engine and you will have your answers - this horse is half decomposed from being beaten and revived so many times. Like dealers before and after that have sadly done the same thing, Phantom no longer sells to them.

tjm

Reaction score
Like dealers before and after that have sadly done the same thing, Phantom no longer sells to them.

name one of these dealers you speak of that have done the "same thing"

what is this "same thing" you speak of?

have you looked at Phantoms' dealer list?

Alaskanmutt

Reaction score
Ahh, didn't know.
So they import them to Idaho to distribute to the dealers. Got it.

Are the Extreme Shallows sold by AMD made in the USA?

TS

Reaction score
Ahh, didn't know.
So they import them to Idaho to distribute to the dealers. Got it.

Are the Extreme Shallows sold by AMD made in the USA?

Extreme shallows are made in Vernon BC, Kingfisher,Harbercraft,eagle, all one company,,,,They make the hulls for a lot of the Kingfishers in Spokane, That way they can be used for chartering.

Halibutgrove

Reaction score
Extreme shallows are made in Vernon BC, Kingfisher,Harbercraft,eagle, all one company,,,,They make the hulls for a lot of the Kingfishers in Spokane, That way they can be used for chartering.

Does the MSO for a Kingfisher actually indicate it was built in Spokane?

TS

Reaction score
Does the MSO for a Kingfisher actually indicate it was built in Spokane?

If it was made their it does. Funny with all the free trade and global markets,the Jones act from 60 70 years ago is still in effect.

Halibutgrove

Reaction score
If it was made their it does. Funny with all the free trade and global markets,the Jones act from 60 70 years ago is still in effect.

Totally agree, and I've been told the USCG has finally been starting to enforce the rule. Years ago when I was looking to purchase the Kingfisher dealer claimed they were built in the U.S. When I was in Seattle at the boat show I asked a dealer there and he said no so I've always been skeptical of the claim. Haven't ever looked much further. Although it's not required for chartering, I don't think I've ever seen one that was documented by name rather then just registered with the state.

TS

Reaction score
Totally agree, and I've been told the USCG has finally been starting to enforce the rule. Years ago when I was looking to purchase the Kingfisher dealer claimed they were built in the U.S. When I was in Seattle at the boat show I asked a dealer there and he said no so I've always been skeptical of the claim. Haven't ever looked much further. Although it's not required for chartering, I don't think I've ever seen one that was documented by name rather then just registered with the state.

US customs are the ones that checked me, I showed them my paper work and they were satisfied, I talked to the spokane welding shop many times when mine was getting built.