New battery- suggestions

mwidaman

Reaction score
I am sure this issue has been pounded prior but need some sound advice for a new battery. My blue top optima 34 battery went dead after 7 years and now looking for a replacement. I have two batteries and the other is an optima as well. I use the battery for starting and running accessories. Should I stay with the optima or look into another brand? Price is an issue as I don't want to spend more than the replacement cost of a new optima. Any suggestions?

potbuilder

Reaction score
costco deep cycle/marine batteries did me good for all the years i had my bowpicker, lived out on the sound for 1 to 2 weeks at a time and they never let me down.

mwidaman

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I had seen in a previous thread you have had good luck with them for many years. Will they serve the dual purpose for starting and running electronics, etc?

Cast Iron

Reaction score
If I had a marine battery to last me 7 years it would be a easy choice as to what I would replace it with.

Bullelkklr

Reaction score
Anyone tried the cabelas dual purpose batteries? Thinking of going with them. Mixed reviews is what I am seeing.

The car batteries on my boat are 8 years old and one of them is shot - the other is not far behind I'm sure.

MacGyver

Reaction score
There is not a lot of information to make a good recommendation such as, battery drain, type of engine, how you are charging the batteries, etc. It also not recommended to mix new and old batteries or difference types, if you are charging them in parallel. So if your not charging them in parallel
any marine 34 batteries should be ok. That said the blue top optima batteries are working and if you do have any problems in the future you would wish you had stay with them.

Unless money is a major problem I would stay with the optima batteries.

MacGyver

Reaction score
Anyone tried the cabelas dual purpose batteries? Thinking of going with them. Mixed reviews is what I am seeing.

The car batteries on my boat are 8 years old and one of them is shot - the other is not far behind I'm sure.

I don't know if this is going to help or not, I would put money on it that they are made by the same company that make batteries for, Sears, Cosco, Sam's, Wallmart, Etc. The reason for the mix reviews are because of the users not the batteries.

potbuilder

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I had seen in a previous thread you have had good luck with them for many years. Will they serve the dual purpose for starting and running electronics, etc?

started the volvo diesel i had never a problem.

malverts

Reaction score
Any updated advice on battery replacements? I bought an older boat that has the capacity to run 4 batteries. Should I have dedicated starting batteries and dedicated accessory/deep cycle batteries? Deep Cycle batteries only? It is an old Glasply boat with twin 4 cylinders...I doubt it needs a lot of CCA.

yanert

Reaction score
In my opinion it has as much or more to do with how you maintain your batteries than what type they are most the time.

My boat came with Interstate lead acid batteries and two banks with a 1-both-2-off switch, I added to that. they lasted 7-10 years depending on the bank. I had 3 banks plus some other devices 2 years ago. I had two banks of Interstate's on the river boat, one lasted 17 years, the other about 9. I just switched them all to AGM's last year. I put two more individual AGM batteries on separate chargers for things like the bow thruster.

Pay attention to your state of charge and use the "newer" type smart chargers, even in the winter. I have an onboard generator and an inverter/charger and I'll use them if I need to. Make sure the out put of the charger matches the size of your battery. Make sure the charger is set to the type of battery you have. I also use VSR's on the twin engine start batteries, they switch to charge other batteries after the start batteries are topped off. Don't forget solar panels.

These are just some simple things and steps you can do to keep batteries working, at least they work for me. The number of battery banks grew with my boat and the addition of things to the boat.

AK2AZ

Reaction score
7 years is excellent performance...replace the same. If you go new replace with AGM type batteries.

iofthetaiga

Reaction score
It's hard to make useful/meaningful comparisons based on anecdotal statements because there are so many variables involved, but I would be really upset if I got only 7 years service out of a battery.

akgriz

Reaction score
Be careful to not mix battery types (wet cell vs AGM) as there will likely be a disparity in charge and rate of charge resulting in issues down the road.... I just put new Optima Yellow tops in mine--painful, but great service!

MacGyver

Reaction score
Any updated advice on battery replacements? I bought an older boat that has the capacity to run 4 batteries. Should I have dedicated starting batteries and dedicated accessory/deep cycle batteries? Deep Cycle batteries only? It is an old Glasply boat with twin 4 cylinders...I doubt it needs a lot of CCA.

Having the capacity to run 4 batteries I would have 2 banks each banks consisted of 2- 6 V batteries in series. You can buy true Deep Cycle 6 V Golf Cart Interstate batteries at COSTCO. They work just as well for starting or as a house batteries. With out knowing how the old batteries are being charged it’s safe to say you will not need to upgrade the charging system. To be safe load test the charging system before going boating.

krisinak

Reaction score
costco deep cycle/marine batteries did me good for all the years i had my bowpicker, lived out on the sound for 1 to 2 weeks at a time and they never let me down.

x2 i have had great service from the costco batteries. i doubt if the price can be beat.

Akgramps

Reaction score
I am sure this issue has been pounded prior but need some sound advice for a new battery. My blue top optima 34 battery went dead after 7 years and now looking for a replacement. I have two batteries and the other is an optima as well. I use the battery for starting and running accessories. Should I stay with the optima or look into another brand? Price is an issue as I don't want to spend more than the replacement cost of a new optima. Any suggestions?

IMO, Optima batteries are simply marketing hype. electrons dont care if the plates are flat or curved.... What one doesn't initially get.... is you get less battery in a particular group size with a Optima than any other battery. If you compare weights of a particular size, Optimas are always lighter.. A battery is nothing more than a plastic case, acid and lead, less acid and lead means the battery has less capacity.

If one wanted a AGM battery I think there are some better choices, The big question is do you want a AGM or traditional flooded battery? A good AGM can cost more than twice as much.. I have had some and I like them, However I dont think they are worth the price. AGM's can be less sensitive to cold, but they can still get compromised if stored outside and not fully charged. Fully charging AGMs can require specific chargers.

A good quality flooded battery should last a few years if properly charged and acid level maintained.. A few years...? How long is that..? I just replaced the 3 year old 6 V GC batteries, (Duracell from Sams) with Trojans.

The Duracells were cheap and ran them for several years for the house battery on the boat, what I noticed last year as they kept taking longer and longer to get fully charged. I have a state of charge monitor and voltage was ok, as was the specific gravity... but batteries develop a resistance to charge as they age, a equalization charge can help rejuvenate a aging battery..

I didnt want to fool around with battery issues on the water while rec-reating as that time is too precious and dang inconvenient when things go awry.

So far so good with the Trojans, but have only made one trip this year, I am hoping to get 5-6 years out of them and would expect double that from a AGM.

(Just realized this was a old thread, I wish batteries could be rejuvenated as easily... LOL)

Doug in Alaska

Reaction score
Be careful to not mix battery types (wet cell vs AGM) as there will likely be a disparity in charge and rate of charge resulting in issues down the road.... I just put new Optima Yellow tops in mine--painful, but great service!

Not trying to highjack this thread but I do have a question about AGM batteries I'm hoping someone can answer. What should the voltage value be on a fully charged 12volt AGM?

Latest posts