Just got back last Friday (22nd). Bou were pushed back for most of the week and finally around Tues/Wed starting making it to the road around the Kuparuk river. If you know where the stuck trucks are (2 miles north of the river) then that is where we were seeing the majority of them. But as always they were everywhere just seemed to be staying around 3 miles off the road feeding. Had one nice herd of 23 bulls cross about 5 minutes ahead of us. Partner went for stalk but these bulls weren't in the mood for feeding they were headed out into the wilderness. We are heading up the 9th for five days. Going to be busy I am sure with Columbus day but you take what you can get! Weather was snowing at night but still burning off during the day. 30 at night 50 during the day, had no problems with drive was about the same as it was in August!
Good Luck and pass on any information you might find out if you get back before the 6th.
we are headed up today, thanks for the update, hope to have a few exciting stalks and some meat to bring home to family and friends. Have to wonder how much snow is up there now that we have gotten our mountains completely painted. I am taking a sled along in case it is useful.
I am headed up to day this is the lastest weather and road
RoadworkSteese Highway: at U.S. Creek Road
road construction, loose gravel -- look out for flaggers — until October 7
last updated September 26
Comment: One lane road with
James Dalton Highway: from MILEPOST 37 to MILEPOST 49 road reconstruction, delays, loose gravel -- reduce your speed, observe signals, shoulder travel is no longer allowed, repairs are in progress, drive carefully — until October 10
last updated September 28
Weather Forecast fordocument.write(zoneTitle); ColdfootLast Updated : October 1, 2006 9:12:00 AM GMTTODAYPARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS AROUND 35. VARIABLE WINDS LESS THAN 15 MPH.TONIGHTINCREASING CLOUDS. 20 TO 25. VARIABLE WINDS LESS THAN 15 MPH.MONDAYCLOUDY. SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS AROUND 35. VARIABLE WINDS LESS THAN 15 MPH.MONDAY NIGHTCLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS. LOWS AROUND 20. VARIABLE WINDS LESS THAN 15 MPH.TUESDAYMOSTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS IN THE MORNING. HIGHS AROUND 35. VARIABLE WINDS LESS THAN 15 MPH. TUESDAY NIGHTMOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW. LOWS NEAR 25.WEDNESDAYMOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW. HIGHS NEAR 30. WEDNESDAY NIGHTMOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 20. THURSDAYCLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 30. THURSDAY NIGHTCLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 20. FRIDAYMOSTLY CLEAR. HIGHS NEAR 30. FRIDAY NIGHTMOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS NEAR 15. SATURDAYMOSTLY CLEAR. HIGHS NEAR 25. && TEMPERATURE / PRECIPITATION ARCTIC VILLAGE 35 22 34 / 0 0 40
Weather was windy, with temps approaching 40 degrees. Road is in good shape. A little snow at Atigun. Most hunters are walking in 6 miles west of the Dalton, anywhere from ice cut to pump 2 with good success. We could see some nice animals on the horizon.
We camped at the Kaparuk, walked in 5 miles behind the gravel pit to the east. seen a small group of about 25 animals 2 miles in, but lo and behold i was carrying the rifle. Cut some big bear tracks several times in the area, as well as wolf. Bou were scarce. Fuel available at both Deadhorse and Coldfoot. Any questions, shoot me an e-mail, just got home last night.
We were up there over the weekend camping just south of PS 2. There were lots of caribou spread out between ps 2 and the ice cut. Very few close to the road. We almost sealed the deal on a small herd about 2 miles off the road but couldn't close the deal. Ended up coming home empty handed this time.