Mystery Salmon: Fish ID please

CA_Blacktail

Reaction score
Was down at the Homer Fishing Lagoon last month fishing for kings. At the cleaning table we met an old-timer cleaning a strange fish. He said it was a king but the fish looked nothing like the king I was cleaning. Compared to mine, his fish had 1) many noticeable spots on back AND sides passed the lateral line 2) white gums black mouth and tongue 3) spots on both lobes of the tail 4) NO "teeth" on the tongue and 5) the fish was overall stockier (wide caudal peduncle) and brighter (bluer) than my chromy king.

My hunch is that it's a big buck pink as I've seen them to 25"+ but just not in their ocean form. We first thought it was a silver, but now having caught a few silvers, the fish looks nothing like them. Attached is a picture of the head which I had asked to keep for clear identification:

MggvB8U.jpg

mike h

Reaction score
Someone on here said the winter feeder kings are from Oregon or WA and don't have the same black gums our kings have.

AaronP

Reaction score
Did the tail have large, oval spots? That's a sure sign of a pink. Looks like a silver to me with the white where the teeth come through and the bulbous nose starting to form.

dieNqvrs

Reaction score
Scale size is a dead give away for me, amongst others like have been mentioned on a pink, the scaled are the size of the head of a pin. All other salmon species are way bigger 3-4x their size. Can't tell by this pic though.

CA_Blacktail

Reaction score
Wish I had taken a pic of the whole fish. I was too mesmerized by the old timer's filleting technique that I didn't snap a pic before all the meat was packed and bagged. As for the tail, I don't remember if they were bulbous, just noticeable enough to be remembered. Im pretty sure it was a big humpy that just got mixed in with the kings and silvers. Sure was a pretty fish, at that size the meat looked really nice and fatty too.

polebender jr

Reaction score
I compared a pink head caught at the lagoon versus a silver this past weekend. Pinks have a much skinnier and pointier mouth which is also all black, compared to the black and white mouth of the silver. The heads between the two are also shaped slightly different as well. By the picture I would agree that this is definitely a silver

Yukon Cornelius

Reaction score
Was down at the Homer Fishing Lagoon last month fishing for kings. At the cleaning table we met an old-timer cleaning a strange fish. He said it was a king but the fish looked nothing like the king I was cleaning. Compared to mine, his fish had 1) many noticeable spots on back AND sides passed the lateral line 2) white gums black mouth and tongue 3) spots on both lobes of the tail 4) NO "teeth" on the tongue and 5) the fish was overall stockier (wide caudal peduncle) and brighter (bluer) than my chromy king.

My hunch is that it's a big buck pink as I've seen them to 25"+ but just not in their ocean form. We first thought it was a silver, but now having caught a few silvers, the fish looks nothing like them. Attached is a picture of the head which I had asked to keep for clear identification:

MggvB8U.jpg
Looks like a halibut to me.

Latest posts