Moose tactics

Tearbear

Reaction score

Michael Strahan

webmaster
Reaction score
...The folks you are referring to are transporters (not outfitters). And since you are going out of Bethel, it's either Wade Renfro or Steve and Carl Powers (Papa Bear Adventures). Both companies are air charters / transporters. In that capacity they can take you to a specific location, but they are not allowed to provide any assistance to you once you're in the field. They cannot even have a camp out there and drop you off in it. Both of those jobs are reserved strictly for guides...

Just correcting myself here. Wade Renfro is a registered guide, if I'm not mistaken. In that capacity he would be able to provide you with a camp in the field, assuming he met the other legal protocols (permits, etc.). I was thinking about this post recently and I believe I mis-spoke. Sorry for any confusion!

-Mike

ADUKHNT

Reaction score
find an oak tree with lots of acorns to put your climbing stand in, dont forget all of your scent killing items they sell on t.v. and your scent lock everything. oh ya, thats for down south. for moose, put your time in, call, watch, watch, call. dont get discouraged too fast, if its light out at least one person in your group should be watching and waiting, and waiting. the first moose i killed was less than 30 yds, after 7 days putting my time in he stepped out from alders so thick that I never saw him until he stepped out. my buddy had given up and went back to camp early.

AFHunter

Reaction score
I highly recommend you buy love thunder and bull II and a bull magnet. Go to Wayne Kubat's website and read his moose hunting strategies. His strategy is proven and works. Do NOT underestimate the power of an axe and a bull magnet beating on a tree for hours in the middle of the day--Early or late season.

If you encounter a problem with bulls hanging up at the 100 to 200 yard distance; call from multiple locations throughout the day so the bull can not pin point your location. If he knows exactly where you are; he does not have to come look for you in the open.

If at all possible, do not stay at your calling location. Call from a spot you can see from a few hundred yards away or your comfortable shooting distance.

If you only find one area that you can watch from a couple hundred yards away--then hunt that area and call for a couple days. If nothing happens; go out a mile away (from noon to 4:00) in a spot you can't see and beat a tree with your axe and bull magnet for an hour or so. Then go back to the original spot beating everything in site on the way back--and beat the heck out of everything that night. Continue this process in different directions. Moose hear exceptionally well--By doing this, you will effectively be hunting many square miles of territory. Draw them into the spot a mile away and then they hear you at your original spot--they will come--have faith.

Good luck--Alaska is an amazing place--enjoy your hunt

swampdonkey

Reaction score
When you're out there, and just before bedtime, give a few scrapes and grunts.
If it's later in the season, throw in a welcoming "come and get ya sum a dis" cow call.
If ya wake up in the middle of the night to "relieve yourself", do it again.
When you get up for the day, do it again.
When the brush comes alive 30yds behind your tent, you know its working...

4merguide

Reaction score
I'll never forget my buddy, after killing a nice bull, told me that while he was out there hunting he ran into a couple "old boys" that saw that he was carrying a moose scapula. They told him to tie a string to that shoulder blade and drag it behind him while he walked. He did, and he ended up killing that bull that day.

What a lot of people don't understand is that a man's footfalls in the woods sound really out of place. By dragging the scapula you cover that up a bit, as well as create the sound of a moose walking through the woods with his antlers hitting things as he goes....

swampdonkey

Reaction score
I'll never forget my buddy, after killing a nice bull, told me that while he was out there hunting he ran into a couple "old boys" that saw that he was carrying a moose scapula. They told him to tie a string to that shoulder blade and drag it behind him while he walked. He did, and he ended up killing that bull that day.

What a lot of people don't understand is that a man's footfalls in the woods sound really out of place. By dragging the scapula you cover that up a bit, as well as create the sound of a moose walking through the woods with his antlers hitting things as he goes....

I'd seen a bull from a distance while bow hunting and started a stalk to get a better look. Once I got about 50-60yds from the moose, I couldn't see him yet but could hear him quietly feeding. Then he got really really quiet. I figured that he heard "something". So I stopped, waited about 1 minute or so, then start slowly stripping alder leaves with my hands. I'm imitating his noises and trying to sound like another feeding moose. I had to be very quiet and patient for a several minutes, seemed like 10 mins. Then I heard the moose starting to feed again, making the same noise... Within minutes he started to slowly move and ultimately stepped out 45yds away giving me a perfect shot. The problem was it was a sublegal bull and I let him walk.
So sounding like a moose (the best you can anyways) and being patient, makes a lot of sense.