Moose tactics

outdoorsman_3

Reaction score
Moose tactics

Thanks guys. You all have really helped out. So I have my outfitter already picked out and have a deposit down. What are some questions that I should ask him? The post about what fish the lakes could hold got
Me thinking about this. What else is important for me to know that I might not even realized I needed to know?

Do most of these outfitters have there spots picked out for each hunter months in advance or do they change them and it put hunters anywhere they are seeing moose? The reason why I ask is bc I would love to get a topo map of the area but this may not be possible if he places hunters in locations he is seeing moose?

MacGyver

Reaction score
Do most of these outfitters have there spots picked out for each hunter months in advance or do they change them and it put hunters anywhere they are seeing moose? The reason why I ask is bc I would love to get a topo map of the area but this may not be possible if he places hunters in locations he is seeing moose?

I've never had anything to do with a outfitter but I always thought it was not legal for an outfitter to pick the hunting location. It's the hunter who picks the location he want to hunt.

Michael Strahan

webmaster
Reaction score
I've never had anything to do with a outfitter but I always thought it was not legal for an outfitter to pick the hunting location. It's the hunter who picks the location he want to hunt.

No, most guides hunt the same areas year after year. If we let our hunters choose the area, our success rates would be much lower. The average nonresident has no idea where to hunt. Also, on state land, guides are required to register the locations of their camp locations no less than 30 days in advance of the hunt.

Mile

MacGyver

Reaction score
Hey guys I am new to moose hunting but my dad and I just booked our first self guided moose hunt out of bethel, sept 15-25. From my understanding we are going to be flown in on a float plane so it is going to be a lake hunt.Also are there common patterns for moose?

He talking about a self guided hunt using an outfitter not a guided, or am I messing something?

Gary

Reaction score
Hey guys I am new to moose hunting but my dad and I just booked our first self guided moose hunt out of bethel, sept 15-25. From my understanding we are going to be flown in on a float plane so it is going to be a lake hunt.Also are there common patterns for moose?

He talking about a self guided hunt using an outfitter not a guided, or am I messing something?

I've done a couple of DIY, outfitted hunts, here in AK. The outfitter has always specified the lake or river (area) where hunting will take place. I would think that the hunter and pilot could make minor adjustments to the hunt area (once in the air), but probably wouldn't go too far astray.
Outfitters are prone to not give too much info out about hunt areas, for the same reason that Mike mentioned in post #24. Basically the same reason that you (probably) won't give out cooridnates for your moose kills. :)

Michael Strahan

webmaster
Reaction score

I forgot he is self-guided. In Alaska, the term "Outfitter" in the legal sense refers to a registered or a master guide. That's what tripped me up. Still, if he's flying out with someone who is "outfitting" his hunt (renting the gear to him), then the point still holds. These flying services use the same locations year after year.

Mike

highestview

Reaction score
Moose tactics

That's only for someone who is licensed transporter, but not a licensed guide. Transporters can't legally say squat about where to go or what to do or they're "guiding without a license."

Guides can pick the spot, tell their client how to get to the animal and even say "Shoot/don't shoot."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outdoorsman_3

Reaction score
Hey guys. We are only being dropped off by the outfitter. He is selecting the area and getting us there. We are on our own once we get there.

Michael Strahan

webmaster
Reaction score
Hey guys. We are only being dropped off by the outfitter. He is selecting the area and getting us there. We are on our own once we get there.

You don't know it, but your use of the term "outfitter" is causing misunderstandings. Alaska doesn't have the kind of "outfitters" you are talking about. In our regulations, an "outfitter" is the same thing as a guide. The terms are used interchangeably. In fact, in the Alaska Statutes they are referred to as "guide-outfitters".

The folks you are referring to are transporters (not outfitters). And since you are going out of Bethel, it's either Wade Renfro or Steve and Carl Powers (Papa Bear Adventures). Both companies are air charters / transporters. In that capacity they can take you to a specific location, but they are not allowed to provide any assistance to you once you're in the field. They cannot even have a camp out there and drop you off in it. Both of those jobs are reserved strictly for guides.

I think you are referring to them as "outfitters" for one or both of the following reasons: 1) they are providing equipment for your hunt, from their base in Bethel. Both companies have gear available there, and they commonly load it into the airplane for their groups and fly it out to the field with the hunters, and 2) they are providing your transportation to and from the field. Neither of these constitute "outfitting" in the regulations.

No big deal, and it has no bearing on your questions, but the issue gets confused when you start talking about "outfitters". The comments I made about choosing the location were based on my incorrect impression that you were talking about a guide.

In your situation, the transporter will select the location for you. That's why you are paying them the big bucks. They know where to go, and, with all due respect, you probably do not. Just relax and go with the flow. You are in for a pleasant surprise, as both transporters have great hunting areas.

Meanwhile, it is in your best interest to do what you are doing; learn all you can about moose hunting before you head out.

You are welcome to call me at any time and I will be happy to help you with some of this, at no charge. I operate a paid hunt consulting service, but in your case I would be happy to help you. Just email me and we can set up a time. I think I can save you a lot of trouble, and help increase your chances of success.

Best regards,

Mike

MacGyver

Reaction score
I originally had in mind of going with a ridge top hunt but was talked out of it due to all the work to carry a moose back up to the ridge.

outdoorsman_3

I have been wondering what is maximum distance you have set for your self when it comes to packing out a moose. The reason I'm asking is just because your hunting around a lake does not mean you will drop an animal next to the lake or worse in the lake.

If you don't get a bull but have fun with your dad is that OK or is all about getting a bull. Not saying there anything wrong with that.

sh

Reaction score
moose are killed by patience.
end of story.

cdubbin

Reaction score
Moose are where you find them....that's pretty much the only hard and fast rule with moose. I wouldn't worry too much about being sneaky...I've seen a bunch of moose get walked right up on in broad daylight (and 4-wheelered right up to, as well) and killed while standing there looking right at you. One thing that seems to make them real skittish is high winds...might be a factor out west there. Be patient, as advised. Get as high as you can- top of a tree is ideal, if there are any. Get up well before daylight and be in position right at first light, same same as deer hunting. Don't run around and wear yourself out, cleaning and packing a moose is a chore you'll need all your energy for.

outdoorsman_3

Reaction score
outdoorsman_3

I have been wondering what is maximum distance you have set for your self when it comes to packing out a moose. The reason I'm asking is just because your hunting around a lake does not mean you will drop an animal next to the lake or worse in the lake.

If you don't get a bull but have fun with your dad is that OK or is all about getting a bull. Not saying there anything wrong with that.

Hiking a moose out will be no easy task. That has gone into our strategy. Honestly it will not be very far as my dad is approaching 60. However we are already training to get into the best physical shape of our life to make the hike manageable.

The whole reason we are doing the hunt is to spend time with each other. We live 20 hours apart and only get to see each other once a year. We miss the times of hunting together.

However, we are hunting and the goal is killing a moose. If that was not the goal than my dad can drive to house and we can turn the water hose on and sit in the cold and save lots of money. If we get one than awesome. If not, we will still have memories that will be non replaceable with each other.

Good topics and they definitely have been considered.

highestview

Reaction score
Moose tactics

moose are killed by patience.
end of story.

Spoken like an old man! Hey, sometimes moose get killed by hyper, overzealous young bucks. You should take the outsider to Kotz with you this fall. I'll go to your camp and "be patient."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk