Moose calf hand calls for bears?

cjp77

Reaction score
Hoping to thin the bear population in my moose hunting area without hauling buckets of bait. Has anyone had success with moose calf hand calls? I haven't had much luck finding moose calf calls other than those loaded on Foxpro type callers. Can anyone steer me toward a brand of hand call they've had luck with?

MacGyver

Reaction score
Hoping to thin the bear population in my moose hunting area without hauling buckets of bait. Has anyone had success with moose calf hand calls? I haven't had much luck finding moose calf calls other than those loaded on Foxpro type callers. Can anyone steer me toward a brand of hand call they've had luck with?

I have recording of a moose calf calling to it Mon. If you want to hear what it sound like let me know.

4merguide

Reaction score
I actually think that if there's a bear in the area, and if he's hungry and hears it, even a rabbit call will work......

hodgeman

Reaction score
My wife called in a griz by howling like a wolf. I think they'll respond to anything that sounds like dinner might be served.

Hunt&FishAK

Reaction score

Watch your back, a moose calf in distress call won't just call in predators. It will call in angry momma moose as well.

Bullcephous

Reaction score
I've used calls with varying degrees of success. When it works, holy cow! look the heck out because you'll get them to come right up on you slack jawed and slobbering. I've watched sows and cubs cross great distances across rough terrain, running, stopping, standing head bobbing and totally focused on the sound of my call. I've also had bears spook at the first sound of it because they knew something just wasn't right. The call I've had the most success with is a hare in distress call, not sure the manufacturer but it's a wooden blow through type. It's loud enough to reel one in from a long ways off and you can really control pitch and volume very easily. Simple design and anybody could figure it out. When I try to catch bears with predator calls I always make sure I can see well in all directions. I've had trot right in in me before and it's like getting caught walking naked out of an ice cold lake in front of a beautiful woman. I've done both in my day and both situations are quite awkward to say the least. I try not to use my call unless I have already spotted a bear and have a good idea where it is in proximity to me. Go giver a try, if you have different calls use them. You never know what works til you try. One last thing, if you use one of those fox pro contraptions keep an eye on the volume. Too much and too close will spook a bear. Fox pros are a great tool, mine has paid for itself many times over. Now if lithium batteries were only free...

Gary

Reaction score
and it's like getting caught walking naked out of an ice cold lake in front of a beautiful woman. I've done both in my day and both situations are quite awkward to say the least. ..

Please expand on this.....unfortunetely, not an experience I'm acquainted with.

Bullcephous

Reaction score
Not only did it shrink, it retreated back into my belly a good inch and a half rendering me female in appearance from the waste down. Awkward?? You bet.

Gary

Reaction score
Not only did it shrink, it retreated back into my belly a good inch and a half rendering me female in appearance from the waste down. Awkward?? You bet.

Did she throw you back in the lake, for being too small? :)

Happily

Reaction score
I know nothing about calling but found that popcorn and marshmallows aren't all that heavy to carry