mooching vs. trolling

AKmud

Moderator
Joined
Oct 30, 2005
Messages
3,022
Reaction score
176
Location
Wasilla, Alaska, United States
Lets get some opinions here. I have a friend who is adamant that mooching is more productive than trolling for silvers out of Seward. Anyone have evidence/experience to share? Descriptions of either method would be appreciated too.

Thanks,
 

Doug from Anchorage

New member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
687
Reaction score
38
Troll till you find them

Troll till you find them

I troll untill I find multiple hits, then I mooch. Saves gas, and effort IMO.
 

Alaska Gray

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
5,628
Reaction score
62
Location
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
Troll to locate the silver then mooch. Also I like people tend to like mooching better for the fact they have the rod in there hands and can feel the bite.
Also now with gas prices through the roof mooching I will be doing about 99% mooching then trolling.
 

Akn6pk

New member
Joined
May 9, 2006
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Location
Anchorage
Both are good!

Both are good!

I am in agreement with above. Have had much success both methods
but with gas prices....

Mooching is much more fun due to actually fishing vs. waiting for
something to happen.

Michael
 

buzby

New member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Mooching

Mooching

I have trolled for years out of Seward and a lot of people say mooching is better, but what do you mooch with? Some say Buzz bombs are the only thing to use and others say cut herring to squid jigs??? help
 

AKmud

Moderator
Joined
Oct 30, 2005
Messages
3,022
Reaction score
176
Location
Wasilla, Alaska, United States
moochin bait

moochin bait

Would any of you guys be willing to share your mooching rig setup details with me? From what I understand it is simply a chunk or whole herring suspended under a weight. Drop it down to where you are seeing fish in the finder and WHAM...there's a fish. Is it really that simple? Does hooligan work?
 

Akboondocker

New member
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
Location
Anchorage
AKmud said:
Would any of you guys be willing to share your mooching rig setup details with me? From what I understand it is simply a chunk or whole herring suspended under a weight. Drop it down to where you are seeing fish in the finder and WHAM...there's a fish. Is it really that simple? Does hooligan work?

Yup, it's that simple. Nope, hooligan don't work. I like trolling. Gas is still cheaper than milk.
 

fishNphysician

New member
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
4,856
Reaction score
262
Location
Aberdeen WA
For those who can't decide, why not do a tried-and-true combination of BOTH... it' s called motor mooching.

Troll slowly until your line goes out at a fairly shallow angle behind the boat. Then cut the motor to neutral and just let the lines fish "auto-pilot". The weight will just free-fall in an arc as your herring spins 4-6 ft behind it, slowly going deeper and deeper.

When the line is hanging nearly vertical with a very steep angle to the water, kick the motor back into gear. The weight and the trailing bait will now rise and speed up in the water column until you kick the motor back into neutral.

It's an extremely effective technique that will draw strikes at any point in the presentation. However the most vicious strikes often come as you either kick the motor in or out of gear. Salmon are notorious for following a monotonously trolled herring for a hundred yards or more, only to strike it the instant the bait "decides" to do something different (fall rise, slow down, speed up).
 

Californian

New member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
We mooched last time without much success

We mooched last time without much success

AKmud said:
Lets get some opinions here. I have a friend who is adamant that mooching is more productive than trolling for silvers out of Seward. Anyone have evidence/experience to share? Descriptions of either method would be appreciated too.

Thanks,

Funny to see this thread started because it's something my friends and I from California were thinking last year when we fished King Salmon at Sitka....Our guide seemed young and relatively inexperienced and had us mooching (3 days) and we caught 2 Kings which were not very big....Later when we returned to the lodge, we were told that another party had caught some large Kings while trolling......So naturally we've been talking about insisting on having our guide take us trolling this time around....Of course, it could've been just the timing, as we were up there in mid-July......
 

Californian

New member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
We mooched last time without much success

We mooched last time without much success

AKmud said:
Lets get some opinions here. I have a friend who is adamant that mooching is more productive than trolling for silvers out of Seward. Anyone have evidence/experience to share? Descriptions of either method would be appreciated too.

Thanks,

Funny to see this thread started because it's something my friends and I from California were thinking last year when we fished King Salmon at Sitka....Our guide seemed young and relatively inexperienced and had us mooching (3 days) and we caught 2 Kings which were not very big....Later when we returned to the lodge, we were told that another party had caught some large Kings while trolling......So naturally we've been talking about insisting on having our guide take us trolling this time around....Of course, it could've been just the timing, as we were up there in mid-July......
 

Dogboy

New member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
Location
Vt
fishNphysician said:
For those who can't decide, why not do a tried-and-true combination of BOTH... it' s called motor mooching.

Troll slowly until your line goes out at a fairly shallow angle behind the boat. Then cut the motor to neutral and just let the lines fish "auto-pilot". The weight will just free-fall in an arc as your herring spins 4-6 ft behind it, slowly going deeper and deeper.

When the line is hanging nearly vertical with a very steep angle to the water, kick the motor back into gear. The weight and the trailing bait will now rise and speed up in the water column until you kick the motor back into neutral.

It's an extremely effective technique that will draw strikes at any point in the presentation. However the most vicious strikes often come as you either kick the motor in or out of gear. Salmon are notorious for following a monotonously trolled herring for a hundred yards or more, only to strike it the instant the bait "decides" to do something different (fall rise, slow down, speed up).
Thanks Keen eye. You have taken me a step further. Already doing it 75%, make sense........D
 

Latest posts

Top