Mat Valley Moose Range/Wasilla Cr. Salmon Habitat Conditions

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
As justified as it may feel at times, you are correct that setting any kind of "booby trap" would definitely get someone in legal trouble, even on your own private property.

I fully understand that "booby trapping" your own property could get you in trouble.
What I was referring to was the fact that you can set up a fence on your own property.
Maybe in this sue happy society we live in you can still get sued if someone ran into that fence?
But I don't have an issue with someone stringing up an electric fence around their property whether it's to define their property boundaries or to keep in domestic animals

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Spanner

Reaction score
Interestingly someone has put up a fairly nice gate in the Moose Range on the main trail from the Murphy Road trailhead. I have double-checked with the Matsu Borough maps, and it's still public land, I will try to contact DNR next week and see if they put it up or if it is a power grab from one of the local landowners.

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
OnX maps is great for determining land status. I tried to find my rear property marker that I have not seen in years. OnX had was able to pinpoint it within a couple of feet and with a pin pointer we found it.

68 Bronco

Reaction score
Interestingly someone has put up a fairly nice gate in the Moose Range on the main trail from the Murphy Road trailhead. I have double-checked with the Matsu Borough maps, and it's still public land, I will try to contact DNR next week and see if they put it up or if it is a power grab from one of the local landowners.

I reckon I'll cave and accept the duty to inform that gate has been there on the west end of the trail for decades and is utilized occasionally for reason by Div. of Habitat and Div. of Forestry - assuming that is what is being referred to and being the only one known of.

Spanner

Reaction score
I reckon I'll cave and accept the duty to inform that gate has been there on the west end of the trail for decades and is utilized occasionally for reason by Div. of Habitat and Div. of Forestry - assuming that is what is being referred to and being the only one known of.

Not the one I was talking about, and the gate in question someone has removed it completely.

68 Bronco

Reaction score
Done Deal ?

Wasilla Cr. Headwaters Trail construction contract has been awarded. There is at least one major surprise in store for the contractor that may be interesting to witness.
The project will significantly impact prime moose and grouse habitat on the 'Moose' Range (no indications whatsoever this was appraised by agencies involved), but will be some improvement for fish habitat even though 'low water crossings' designed by USFWS! will still kill fish (the Matanuska Moose Range Plan specifies properly installed culverts and bridges for crossings, but that still in place plan is headed for rewrite.)
Effective management and enforcement, as always, will continue to be an issue exacerbated by increasing traffic.

The 'process' in getting to this juncture has been the most convoluted and exclusionary public land management administering effort as one could possibly imagine. Embarrassingly so, and a victory for unfettered access over sensitive habitat :

http://dnr.alaska.gov/projects/las/#...orttype/detail
Note that this is an "Early Entry" permit and that MSB has yet no easement for this project on State owned public land. Early Entry permits avoid further public process/testimony, especially in this case when 'Public Testimony' at Palmer Depot was at the end of a completed MSB Wasilla Creek Headwaters plan and was simply subject to "...any questions?." The Depot presentation was funded by a $10K grant via Mat Su Trails and Parks Foundation. ( Similar use of an Early Entry permit was employed even before the KRPUA Plan was final.)
Inclusive stakeholder testimony for any public land plan development should be made available at or near the beginning of the 'process', as is usual. (Previous posts and available documents confirm the closed nature of this plan development.) MSB added an additional reroute (mislabeled for a considerable period as a 'temporary route') for which no public testimony has occurred.
The Jonesville Plan, while many Moose Range trails and anadromous fish waters exist outside its physical boundaries, speaks to DNR's non-committal approach to Moose Range issues while seeking needed remedies. Calls to DNR have ranged from "... we probably won't even comment " on the Jonesville Plan, to recently posting regarding the interplay of the Moose Range Plan (https://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/jonesville/), which is something at least.

No final solutions, obviously, but not a stretch to say this mix is complicated and that DNR may be viewed as abdicating responsibilities for State owned public lands to Mat Su borough - outside the Jonesville Plan boundaries. Whether more public involvement is forthcoming is questionable. Three things are certain, the unattended original Moose Range Plan is still in effect and being violated even by agencies, land ownership is a matter of record, and habitats remain at risk. The concept of intact sustainable ecosystems remains absent in our resource management considerations for recognized sensitive areas.

More information can be found on MSB's Procurement pages, the Jonesville PUA Plan docs, Wasilla Creek Headwaters Plan, and DNR web pages.

Last edited:

68 Bronco

Reaction score
9/19/2022

Attachments

• IMG_6578.JPG
    IMG_6578.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 8