Mat-Su Valley CFI

Mr. Grayling

Reaction score
Trying to get back on track with flight training. Does anybody know of any CFI's in the Mat-Su Valley that would be available most evenings and weekends? I have a friend's Cessna 140 that I can use. I really don't feel like paying flight school's prices to rent there planes, although I might go that route if nothing turns up here. I've got 12 hours so far. I've flown a chief, 140, 150, and a 172. Prefer to stick with a tailwheel instructor. Thanks for any info.

avidflyer

Reaction score
You can try Walt Ward at Legends aviation. I don't know if he is doing any training anymore except floats by he might be.

Mr. Grayling

Reaction score
I talked to Walt yesterday and he still teaches. Going to call him again today, and set something up.

Rjusten

Reaction score
Brett Crowley at wingnuts aviation. very good safe instructor based out of Wolf lake but also goes to you if needed

avidflyer

Reaction score
your right I will fix it... Walt Ward was my metals / welding teacher in high school LOL. getting old sucks.

mtnclimber

Reaction score
Trying to get back on track with flight training. Does anybody know of any CFI's in the Mat-Su Valley that would be available most evenings and weekends? I have a friend's Cessna 140 that I can use. I really don't feel like paying flight school's prices to rent there planes, although I might go that route if nothing turns up here. I've got 12 hours so far. I've flown a chief, 140, 150, and a 172. Prefer to stick with a tailwheel instructor. Thanks for any info.

Hey grayling,

clear your PM's, your full.

RocketRick

Reaction score
Yeah Walt is out n. of Biglake. He certified me in 1983. Very knowledgeable Ace pilot

Jamie Hastings , prof pilot out of, Wasilla is a good one also. Not annal and easy to learn from. He flew my plane for a spell.

Or ifn ya want to learn mnt flying and gravel landings, call Jay Baldwin. Ex Air Force doing commercial.. Very very Ace pilot..good insurance ifn ya plannin to trim the trees and roll some pebbles.

Hope that helps..

Rocket

PS: Sold that plane and forgot to remove the Avatar..Just sayin.

Last edited:

Tcraft

Reaction score
Yeah Walt is out n. of Biglake. He certified me in 1983. Very knowledgeable Ace pilot

Jamie Hastings , prof pilot out of, Wasilla is a good one also. Not annal and easy to learn from. He flew my plane for a spell.

Or ifn ya want to learn mnt flying and gravel landings, call Jay Baldwin. Ex Air Force doing commercial.. Very very Ace pilot..good insurance ifn ya plannin to trim the trees and roll some pebbles.

Hope that helps..

Rocket

PS: Sold that plane and forgot to remove the Avatar..Just sayin.

Unfortunately Jay Baldwin is no longer with us. He was killed in an accident a couple of months ago.

Mr. Grayling

Reaction score
Anybody know of any updates to this thread? Almost done but not a fan of my current instructor. I have my own 150 here at Wolf Lake. Trying to finish in the next month!

wrenchbender1

Reaction score
Hello, I thought I'd post here rather than starting a new one. I'm in the same situation as the original poster. Does anyone know an independent CFI in the Valley that's taking students? I have my own aircraft (Straight tail 172) and I'm trying to get back into it after a two year hiatus.

Mr. Grayling

Reaction score
wrenchbeder1,

I just did my biannual flight review with Blue River Aviation in Palmer. They can instruct you in your plane for $75 an hour.