Marsh rat boat

catchfish

Reaction score
Does anybody have a marsh rat, I’m looking for the pros and cons of it, starting to research layout boats. I know it’s not a classic layout but it seems to be a good hybrid. Hard to find duck boats in Alaska.

HuntingGriff907

Reaction score
I wasn't very impressed after paddling a friend's marsh rat. The best layout combo in my opinion is a Four Rivers Ebads with an 18hp Copperhead. I ended up selling it to get a SeaArk with a blind for Kenai fishing and hunting. My duck hunting group all bought Bass Pro Ascend 12 foot sit on top kayaks about 4 years ago. They paddle great even when in saltwater conditions. I had to sell my kayak when moving back to AK permanently this spring, but it is about time to get another one. We shot puddle ducks, sea ducks, and our harlequins out those kayaks.

Do you have a dog?
How many decoys are you trying to bring along?

catchfish

Reaction score
I don’t hunt with a dog in the conditions I would be using the Marsh rat and would probably only have 12-16 decoys. I’ve looked at the sit inside ascent h12 I believe it is a crossover kayak and canoe I haven’t used the sit on top kayaks ever seems like a wet ride.