Magnum Large Rifle Primers Available

akrifle

Reaction score
I have Magnum Large Rifle Primers CCI, & Federal. I need Large Rifle Primers. Anchorage.

Tenbuck

Reaction score
I think you can use the primers you have, just might have to reduce the powder load a bit.

akrifle

Reaction score
Yea, considering that but some loads are maxed. I’d go back to min loads and work back up…but hey, it’s sending a round down range. Maybe I’ll just use them for near minimum recommended plinking loads with cheap FMJs.

akrifle

Reaction score
Found a few boxes of these in my stuff and been feeling angry at today’s prices.

Attachments

• 721EA83D-EFE7-49E8-9A6F-97623B425015.jpeg
    721EA83D-EFE7-49E8-9A6F-97623B425015.jpeg
    385.5 KB · Views: 2

Mobius

Reaction score
I've done quite a bit of digging into this lately. Even into the actual chemistry of the primer compounds. Obviously you don't have to take my word for it, but if you do a little research you'll find it eventually. The only difference between regular primers and magnum primers (and this applies to SPP, SRP, LPP, and LRP) is the addition of aluminum powder to the compound. The aluminum doesn't add any gasses to the burn, so it effectively doesn't add to the pressure of your loads. What it does is provide small flare like particles that travel deeper into the case with the intent of further igniting powder in the longer cases of magnums. That provides a more consistent burn in longer cases so all of the powder burns. In a regular case, it does nothing.

It's also interesting to note that all primers generally use the same compound and effectively have the same burn rates regardless of SRP, SPP, LRP, or LPP. For this reason (not accounting for cup thickness which is a different discussion) you can actually use SPP in rifle loads assuming you don't need the extra cup thickness. Higher pressure rounds may need the cup thickness, so it's not a 100% cross compatible.

Latest posts