Lower Unit Question

bbags

Reaction score
In preparation for this upcoming boating season, I drained the lower unit gear oil from my Honda 130 outboard. The old gear oil looked ok. I injected oil into the bottom hole of the lower unit until it came out of the top hole. When I plugged the top hole, gear oil started to leak out of the water intake area. Do Hondas have a pressure release valve or do I have a compromised gasket? The lower unit is only 2 years old and hasn't impacted on anything. Any thoughts on what might be going on??

Chris_Stout

Reaction score
Ask the dealership maintenance techs.

Ask the dealership maintenance techs.

I would call honda just in case. You might have just pushed a little too much pressure on the top bearing seal and pushed some oil through, but I would ask just in case. And on top of asking them I would drain the oil and check for water after the first good run, nothing like getting bum info and having an expensive repair shortly afterward.

Chris

bbags

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply

Chris:
Thanks for taking the time to reply. BTW- I called the Honda dealer and he wasn't sure if it is a problem or not, but suggested I have them look at it. Unfortunately, they can't look at it until mid June. Ah, the life of a boat owner!

Thanks again....bbags