Load Suggestions for Tikka T3x .300 Win Mag

elpoyodiablo2000

Reaction score
Was looking for suggestions for loading a bullet for big game for the Tikka T3X Superlite .300 Win Mag. I'm new to loading so I don't know anything so the more specific you are the better. Barrel is a 1:11 twist, I understand the COAL may be an issue with the mgazines but haven't found a good answer on what works exactly. probably be shooting 100-400 yards, kind of intrigued by the Hornady ELD-X bullet but not sure if they will work. I know from other forums that somebody wont be able to resist telling me how they loaded their .300 WSM, don't really feel its relevant to my question. Thanks!!!

AK Bearcat

Reaction score
While I am not a fan of the 300 WM, I can still offer some input. The 300 WM is very popular and most bullets work well in this caliber. I think the more important question will be what are you going to hunt? To me, bullet construction is on the top of my list, on which bullet I choose. I am a fan of the Barnes bullets, but for just good trigger time Sierra's are worth looking at. Most of the bullets out there are of good quality or they would not stay in business for long. Try several and see what YOUR rifle likes!
Beside reloading can be fun!!!!!

Reaction score
8A4CD3E4-A65A-4544-A0E0-7FF1601AFB89.png filedata/fetch?id=2777458&d= 300 Win one of my most favorite cal to reload for

IMR 4831 and 180 Nosler Accubond @ 74.0
3.390” coal at 3090 fps
WW brass
WLR primer

H4831 @ 74.0
200gr Accubond
same primer and brass

For a good cheap bullet Speer Hot Core Spitzer SP 180/200gr

Last edited:

orangejuicy

Reaction score
I haven’t gotten through working up a load for the 300 WM yet, but I started pretty recently as well. I agree with AK Bearcat on picking based on bullet construction. I’ve only been using published load data. For a hunting load, I’m on a Barnes kick right now. I am hopeful about the Nosler E-Tip, and I like the construction of Partition and AccuBond, as well as Swift A-Frame from what I have read on them. There are some other good boutique bullets out there as well, Woodleigh and Hammer. I’m currently working on a 300 WSM T3 load with StaBALL 6.5 under a 180gr E-Tip Nosler brass and magnum primer. Also just got some 168gr E-Tips and 175gr LRX that I’m going to try out. I am probably going to try the same bullets on the 300WM. It’s an older S&W, so might fall back to Partitions if I have a hard time with the mono bullets. With the Nosler Partitions, Nosler uses the 200gr with their Trophy ammo, so that might be a good bet to use with their published data. Make sure you have a chronograph. I just got a Magneto after using the Caldwell for the summer. Some light rain pretty much put a stop to the shooting last time I went out because the Caldwell errored out from it. You want to be able to see when the standard deviation (SD) and extreme spread (ES) with your speeds start to get nice and low. That’s a good indicator that you have the charge weight your gun likes. Hope that helps and have fun!

*Edit- sorry for posting about the 300WSM, didn’t see that originally! The loads I have highlighted to work on for the 300WM right now are the 180gr Partition and the 180gr TSX both with either IMR4350 or IMR4831.

Daveintheburbs

Reaction score
From Speer #13. My go to: 76G Re19, 180 g Nosler Accubond, win brass, magnum primers. Work up to this as it is a top load.

moose338

Reaction score
My standard load for my model 70 300WM is a 180 gr barnes TTSX with 82.0 gr of ramshot magnum and a C.O.A.L of 3.34" .This is slightly less than the Barnes maximum load for this bullet (82.3 gr). I've taken multiple moose and caribou with this load and it has always performed very well.

Tuffcrk

Reaction score
I load my tikka 300 win with 74 gr of rl22 and put a 180 accubond on top. It's effect on game from deer to elk has been nothing short of impressive. Controlled expansion bullets seem to be the name of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokeRoss

Reaction score
Ilike 165's in my .300 with IMR 4831 pushing them. Extremely flat shooting and retain good knockdown at long range. Mostly using Barnes X, but have some very accurate loads with Speer boat tails.

Daveintheburbs

Reaction score
I love Barnes bullets, but could not get them to perform in the Tikka. Ran 165 Hornaday bonded for many year, but get similar accuracy and velocity out of the 180 Nosler accubonds. Have fun, playing around with COL always worth while.

Reaction score
300 Win Load
One of my favorite to reload the 300 Win Mag

IMR 4831 @ 74.0 180 Nosler Accubond
H4831 @ 74.0 200gr Nosler Accubond
WW brass and WLR primer (Not Magnum Primer)

Reaction score
Hornady ELDX tried them is various weights
.338 in 230
.308 in 178 and 200gr
I have done bullet retention test and concluded the jackets are too soft for my big game hunting.
Accuracy was good but the performance in retention is similar to Nosler Ballistic Tips.
I had better retention with the Original Hornady Spitzer Interlock SP.
they need to bond them like the Accubond !
I do not suggest them for Alaska hunting !
The 300 Win Mag one of long time favorites to hunt with and reload good choice !

Last edited:

moose338

Reaction score
The ELD-X is a very poor option for any kind of big game hunting in my opinion. They are virtually the same design as Hornadys tipped match bullets (the older AMAX with a new plastic tip and the current ELD) which they always said should not be used for hunting. They say there's an interlock ring in them, but it must be a very small one cause it doesn't do a very good job of keeping the bullet together. I would expect it behaves about the same as any other match bullet on game (although I can't say I've personally seen what your average match bullet does to game, to my understanding, they pretty much just fall apart or pencil through). Though I'm not sure, I believe the same design issue is true for the Ballistic Tips, which would make perfect sense with your results. I'm rather surprised that Hornady even put them out as hunting bullets given their poor performance compared to other modern designs, including many of their own products. I'd probably take an old interlock style over the ELD-X. My one hunting experience with a friend who was using the ELD-X was incredibly poor and he will undoubtedly never use them again.

Reaction score
I bought the ELDX when first introduced. Give Hornady promotional team a thumbs up on promoting the ELDX. But after my experience the jacket is too soft for my Alaskan hunting. Now I have some ELDX bullets for trading materials. Agree the Orginal Interlock SP was a better bullet in retention.