Line recomendation

Daveinthebush

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
80 here too except the electric reel. One or two might have 100 but if the drag is set correctly 80 is good. Only broke it once or twice.

river mist

Reaction score
I like PowerPro, 80 or 100, hi-vis meaning white yellow so you can see the line in a tangle. if you have to deal with a lot of current go 80. If you have not used braid before let a tackle shop put it on you reel, it has to be packed on really tight.

iofthetaiga

Reaction score
I have 80 pound Maxima Braid 8 on the trolling reels and like it a lot. It has caught a mess of 100# halibut too without issue. Have some original 100 pound Tuf-Line on a couple Penn halibut reels that's a couple decades old and still fine as well.

Daveinthebush

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think with braided line, too many people don't set their drags correctly. They pull line off at the reel until it "feels" right. Then the weakest link is probably the swivel and the lure/hook rig. That stuff just doesn't stretch to absorb any impact.

river mist

Reaction score
Dave, I think you are on the right path. The drag has to be set right, but a 300 lb. swivel or a 16/0 circle hook or any large quality hook should stand up to 100 lb. braid.

river mist

Reaction score
npducky, do you mean the "Palomar knot". There used to be a fishing program called "knot wars" which focused on testing the strength of knots. For the braid line category
the Palomar knot won as the strongest connection to terminal tackle. Such a simple knot.

iofthetaiga

Reaction score
The type of knot is crucial with braided line. I have had great luck using power pro line with a polymer knot.
I use a standard (not "improved") five wrap Clinch knot using doubled line. It's easier for me to tie than a Uni or Palomar and makes a nice clean very strong knot, not unlike the Uni. I use it for all my terminal connections, including on the downrigger.