Light bar on an old sled...

urbanhillbilly

Reaction score
I have a very clean 96 Polaris trail RMK with the 500 fan cooled, no electric start. I’d like to hook up a little led light bar to provide additional light when needed.

Has as anyone else done so? I’m trying to figure out the best method, as I’m sure just tapping the led into the stock headlight wiring is not the best idea...

All advice is greatly appreciated!

MacGyver

Reaction score
It would be helpful to have more information on the small LED light bar such as wattage and voltage?

Until then the 96 RMK lights are power by AC, LED lights normal use DC voltage. There is a couple of ways the RMK can be converted to DC.

If it was me I would mount a small car fog light on my helmet. That way when you looked to the right or left the light will follow you.

urbanhillbilly

Reaction score
It would be helpful to have more information on the small LED light bar such as wattage and voltage?

Until then the 96 RMK lights are power by AC, LED lights normal use DC voltage. There is a couple of ways the RMK can be converted to DC.

If it was me I would mount a small car fog light on my helmet. That way when you looked to the right or left the light will follow you.

Haven’t looked t lights yet. What do you recommend I look for? Are the helmet mounted lights battery operated? Not too keen on the idea of a tether...

MacGyver

Reaction score
Not knowing how you ride or what your wanting to see I can’t help with the led light.

Yes... the fog light need to be wired to the sled. The advantage is its a spot light that can light up a large area that is needed if your going fast.

I do like having a light that does not turn off when the engine stops running. You may want to try the headlights sold by COSCO there cheep. Keep one under your coat, when the battery get cold trade it out for a warm one.

momspond

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a lead dog spot light on my helmet. Attached with velcro. wired it threw my high low beam switch. So I can turn it on n off with the dimmer switch. Low beam off, so when I approach someone I can turn it off.
. These are real nice when out trying to find the trail and can look around.

AKBEE

Reaction score
After reading comments about the Lead Dog light, I contacted the folks via the website contact form to ask some questions. Holy cow- Steve responded within an hour and answered all my questions. I did not realize the light is able to connect to headgear other than a helmet. I am ordering one to have for when I get caught after hours on sled, as well as for using my snowblower at the cabin.

AKBEE

Reaction score
I ordered a Lead Dog light with some extras this morning. Steve delivered it to my house early this afternoon. Amazing customer service.