Life insurance for private pilots

Brian M

***** Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in the midst of buying a term life insurance policy, and needless to say, me being a pilot has complicated matters. My wife and I were both considered to be "preferred plus" based on our age, weight, and health history, but once they noted my recent flight physical, well... :D

I just got a quote, and my rate is now looking to be about 70% higher than my wife's. Does that seem to be in line with what others have experienced? It seems to be legitimate, but I want to be informed before signing on the policy.

rppearso

Reaction score
I just dont have life insurance. Not having it is always an option. I try the best I can to not allow insurnace companies to drive my life.

Brian M

***** Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I just dont have life insurance. Not having it is always an option. I try the best I can to not allow insurnace companies to drive my life.

Of course it's an option. Nobody is driving my life - I'm a consumer making a choice to purchase protection for my young family should something unexpected befall me. Thanks for your input.

hogfamily

Reaction score
Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, A
I had a simular experience when the insurance company found out I was a flight paramedic. At first they said they would not even sell me life insurance due to my "high risk job". Then they decided to cover me at a very high rate. Finally they insured my wife with me as a "rider". It was very economical then.

Troy Hamon

Reaction score
Seems like AOPA has had life insurance products for pilots also. Definitely shop. But it will cost more.

Brian M

***** Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations, fellas. I've been working through a service that gives comparisons from 50+ insurers, so I'm pretty certain I'm getting a solid rate. Actually, the rate I'm being quoted is still just below the rate my local insurer offered even before they knew I was a pilot. I'm more curious about the % increase that folks have experienced due to the simple fact of being a pilot. Alas, the rate I'm getting is still pretty dang good compared to most I've seen, so I'll likely be moving on it.

kk alaska

Reaction score
USAA is non commision most life ins. premiums first years premiums go into agents pockets!