Let's see some moose hunting pictures

kpendelight

Reaction score
I was able to get out a little today and man have I missed this time of year. I don't have my own to add yet but surely some people on here have put a moose in the freezer after the first few days of the season.

Alaska Bush Hunter

Reaction score
Waiting till this Sunday to go !
Too Warm !
20B open till 15th pack up now.
moose

Last edited:

greyinggrayling

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going out next week for 10 days. I drew an any bull tag and I am looking forward to punching it.
Meat hunting, so if it has balz, it falz :tongue3:

AK Troutbum

Reaction score
From this past Friday. I only had Friday-Sunday off work and got lucky Friday morning.

0403ed12befce45aa9e9c9561f1b03fe.jpg

cc0fb80dfd356785a642599a3904831c.jpg

e1b7400b2b7989af1245bba8e0d51ca1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKBC

Reaction score
From this past Friday. I only had Friday-Sunday off work and got lucky Friday morning.

0403ed12befce45aa9e9c9561f1b03fe.jpg

cc0fb80dfd356785a642599a3904831c.jpg

e1b7400b2b7989af1245bba8e0d51ca1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super cool bull especially on his left. I wonder what the Homer bio would think of the brow tines on his left antler? Does it have five brows tines or three brow tines with a palm and two points "in the bay"?

AK Troutbum

Reaction score
Super cool bull especially on his left. I wonder what the Homer bio would think of the brow tines on his left antler? Does it have five brows tines or three brow tines with a palm and two points "in the bay"?

He actually has 8, if you count the tine that curls around his base, and he has another tine on the backside that's not shown in any of the photos.

SmokeRoss

Reaction score

We probably all know what that bozo would say.

kpendelight

Reaction score
Well the moose hunting was TOUGH this year for our little crew (my dad, two brothers, and I). Where we hunt has been productive for many years before we inherited it-I guess is how you would word it, my dad hunted with the older guys that found it for 10 years or so and they both called it quits a few years ago. One of them actually passed away and we spread some of his ashes on one of the lakes we hunt. Super close family friend and it was good to leave some of him there - but tough to lose him. I've been out there the last 4 seasons and the last 2 we haven't gotten a bull (wind made for bad hunting most of last season).

But this year we had multiple bulls close to us, hot, but they wouldn't pull the trigger and come close enough for us to see them and would walk away eventually. Im asking for some input here.

One time a big sounding bull that was bulldozing through trees turned away after the wind changed on us, damn the luck. My dad heard this same bull (we think) a couple of times after this encounter but he was usually just leaving when he got in there, I think he had us made.

But another one I had making a lot of noise and breaking trees that eventually turned around. I think I called him in from a little ways away but never heard a grunt from him? Only movement and raking. Why would he come all the way into me and not even make a grunt? I suspect he circled me enough to catch my wind but I can't say that for certain. I could hear him really close to me before he turned around and walked away. Really had my heart pumping, I thought this was certainly it!

There's also been an extreme uptick in bear sign in the area, my dad's encountered a brownie the last two seasons and theres a ton of black bear scat around.

Other than shifting the concentration of moose to a different area than we typically hunt, are the bears having an effect? What else can I do when I get a hot sounding bull close to make sure I get an opportunity to seal the deal? Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm pretty stumped and discouraged after this season. Having them right there and not being able to get it done makes it worse, although, it was fun for a few minutes the close encounters I had.

4merguide

Reaction score
My dad's bull this year...55", 3x4...shot on the last day of the season, after 25 straight days in camp:
Nice, did he get it on the Kenai or further north? Saw a pic of a big palmed 63"- 4X5 brows killed up in "the hills" somewhere. Congrats to your dad for having the luxury of being able to stay out that long. Very cool!

Latest posts