Kodiak caribou

danmiotke

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the kodiak caribou are counted against your state bag limit? I took a bull this fall and wondering if I could still hunt kodiak reindeer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dieNqvrs

Reaction score
You cannot. They are classified as caribou. Limit one per year. If you have harvested one in another unit you have exceeded the bag limit allowed in unit 8.

highestview

Reaction score
You cannot. They are classified as caribou. Limit one per year. If you have harvested one in another unit you have exceeded the bag limit allowed in unit 8.

That's a shame. It's weird, the regs go out of their way to call them 'feral reindeer' in the book, rather than just caribou. I wonder why that is. I get the feeling their presence was from an experiment that they realized was a bad idea after transplantation. Just my wild speculation.

dieNqvrs

Reaction score
That's a shame. It's weird, the regs go out of their way to call them 'feral reindeer' in the book, rather than just caribou. I wonder why that is. I get the feeling their presence was from an experiment that they realized was a bad idea after transplantation. Just my wild speculation.

They are feral reindeer. They were from the native village of Ahkiok. They were turned free or got loose? Their population exploded to above 2,000, but range couldn't carry that many mouths. So eventually the population plummeted, it is now about 200-300 from what I understand. Bears do a good job keeping pop in check, eating the cows and calves in the spring.

There used to be no season or limit. Like everything a few rotten apples screwed it up for the rest of us. Shooting to many and not being able to take care of them was one I heard about. The other was a few people and businesses were targeting them heavily because you could same day airborne them.

So now reclassified as caribou, with a season and a limit, it now protects them from over exploitation. So no same day airborne, and have to get a caribou harvest permit and limit of one with a season. I've seen a few nice big ones over the years, but never connected on a bull. I shot a cow once that I thought was a bull. I had my pick of 150 animals.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413086750.431535.jpg

highestview

Reaction score
Kodiak caribou

They are feral reindeer. They were from the native village of Ahkiok. They were turned free or got loose? Their population exploded to above 2,000, but range couldn't carry that many mouths. So eventually the population plummeted, it is now about 200-300 from what I understand. Bears do a good job keeping pop in check, eating the cows and calves in the spring.

There used to be no season or limit. Like everything a few rotten apples screwed it up for the rest of us. Shooting to many and not being able to take care of them was one I heard about. The other was a few people and businesses were targeting them heavily because you could same day airborne them.

So now reclassified as caribou, with a season and a limit, it now protects them from over exploitation. So no same day airborne, and have to get a caribou harvest permit and limit of one with a season. I've seen a few nice big ones over the years, but never connected on a bull. I shot a cow once that I thought was a bull. I had my pick of 150 animals.

View attachment 81384

That's a cow? Holy hell, very nice. I want to go get one now. They should change the limit to two so that someone who got a caribou and went down to Kodiak for late season deer could get one. They have to eat a better diet with the shorter winters.

danmiotke

Reaction score
Just got back from south end we harvested 3 nice reinbou the gene pool doesn't seem very diverse a lot of unique characteristics will post photos soon

4merguide

Reaction score
Wow.......after over 30 years of living in AK., I never knew there were/are caribou/raindeer on Kodiak. If I did hear about it it was long ago and since then a bad case of CRS has taken effect.....

4merguide

Reaction score
View attachment 82019 Unique Kodiak reindeer

Dan......for some reason some members are able to see attachments like this, but I do believe for most us we can't.......don't understand why that is. But from what I've seen, to post pics here that you know will come through, you need to go through a photo service such as photo bucket and then post them from there.

Tearbear

Reaction score
For me...some attachments others post, I can see, and others I can't. I have uploaded attachments and they all seem to have worked, and I don't have a photobucket etc. type place for photos, they come straight from my files on my computer. I always use the 'basic uploader' option. The photobucket etc. option seems to be better, with nice big photos, and the attachments have a file size limit, so they're smaller.