Knight Island Deer/Bear

weber87

Reaction score
Anyone willing to share any info on Knight Island? I tried anchoring up in Marsha a few years ago and it was hard to get very far out of the bay, real thick, a lot of impassable terrain. I was looking at the Western side. Looking at going in late September.

mcc4

Reaction score
I have spent a decent amount of time on the West side of Knight during deer season, usually 3-4 days at a time. In my opinion, the later you go the better. I've seen as many as 12 deer in a trip and as few as 1. Its a cool place and it does have deer but just like everywhere else in the sound, the previous winter severity plays a major role in the deer population. Also, I've never seen a bear during the fall, only scat and tracks. Hope this helps.

weber87

Reaction score
I saw quite a 6-8 bears when I went in August, but there were fish, thank you. Guessing they move up into the thicker stuff later in the year. Only ever seen a fawn out there but I covered very little ground.

I know this last winter was pretty brutal, might give the deer a rest this year but still looking to go out to PWS late September for bear

Mike.Records

Reaction score
We went out to Knight for this last weekend. Mediocre visibility with the fog, but really quiet out there from a deer perspective, saw very few animals and extremely limited sign, lots of bears and bear sign though. Could have just been weird timing, but has me curious to go back at a different time as well as see how things are looking on the surrounding islands.

deerhunter88

Reaction score
Anyone willing to share any info on Knight Island? I tried anchoring up in Marsha a few years ago and it was hard to get very far out of the bay, real thick, a lot of impassable terrain. I was looking at the Western side. Looking at going in late September.
They're definitely there. We have had great success going late season when snow is on the ground. I realize that this hunt isn't what some prefer but it's an easy way to put meat in the freezer. Check out Disc Cove on Disc Island, it's a great place to anchor down for the night and it's right next to Knight. Also, we poked around for deer on Disc Island a couple of years ago and there was no sign there.
Those deer get around though, I wouldn't be surprised if they were there too.