Kenai Dipnet Fishery Open 24hrs

extrema

Reaction score
Haha. No. Why would I do that?

Second time inside a week someone has asked me to look through police reports. Last time was to prove that there is enforcement in the setnet fishery and we aren't all a bunch of lawless eh-holes. Weird, and not something I should have to prove. Likewise, I don't need police reports to make a reasonable argument about having sideboards on this fishery.

I don't read police reports because I don't really care.

Lotsa blow not much go. Got it.

Patsfan54

Reaction score
Sounds like I need to get a six pack and a lawn chair one of these days and observe.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Are you sure you could be actively drinking and driving that lawn chair legally while watching at the same time?

Not everyone on a boat is driving it.

kwackkillncrew

Reaction score
Are you sure you could be actively drinking and driving that lawn chair legally while watching at the same time?

Not everyone on a boat is driving it.
O my god you are so right how did I never think of that geeze your a smart dude......figured that was implied since a drunk passenger probably wouldn't be the one causing the accident. I was talking about the dude driving the boat. I was under the impression you couldnt legally drink and drive a boat not drink and ride.

gunner

Reaction score
Sounds like I need to get a six pack and a lawn chair one of these days and observe.

You really should. Quite entertaining. If you disregard safety issues. Have you seen the movie Jaws?. The scene when a reward is offered for the shark and the townspeople turn out in all kinds of watercraft,much of which is unsafe is what I am reminded of when I observe this fishery. Furthermore, this is called a personal use fishery, code for subsistence, but less and less locals fish it every year. A large percentage come from hundreds of miles away with their motorhomes and jet boats to fill their subsistence needsI I am a uci drifter and I am sure most will consider my post as a commie who thinks he owns the fish, but nothing could be further than the truth.I am very much in supportive of every alaskan has the opportunity to fill their freezer with harvests of fish,berties, game etc.. But the p.u. fishery on the ken s I just plain stinks.

smithtb

Reaction score
Lotsa blow not much go. Got it.

Yeah funny thing - I don't have a lot of "go" when it comes to doing other people's homework for them. If you'd like to spend the night looking through police reports knock yourself out.

Doug in Alaska

Reaction score
You really should. Quite entertaining. If you disregard safety issues. Have you seen the movie Jaws?. The scene when a reward is offered for the shark and the townspeople turn out in all kinds of watercraft,much of which is unsafe is what I am reminded of when I observe this fishery. Furthermore, this is called a personal use fishery, code for subsistence, but less and less locals fish it every year. A large percentage come from hundreds of miles away with their motorhomes and jet boats to fill their subsistence needsI I am a uci drifter and I am sure most will consider my post as a commie who thinks he owns the fish, but nothing could be further than the truth.I am very much in supportive of every alaskan has the opportunity to fill their freezer with harvests of fish,berties, game etc.. But the p.u. fishery on the ken s I just plain stinks.

I'm not understanding your post. You state that a large percentage of fishermen come from hundreds of miles away with motorhomes and jet boats to fill their substance needs but then say that I am supportive of every Alaskan having the opportunity to fill his freezer. I don't get it. BTW, my son, grandson and buddy were there on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and took home 107 reds. We took home what we'll use but weren't excessive.

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
There's a lot of people in the dipnet fishery operating boats that shouldn't be operating them in the daytime on that River nonetheless at night.
And yes as was pointed out above there are a lot of locals who gave up fishing this fishery because they were tired of playing bumper boats with all the citiots from Anchorage and the valley coming down.
We've been bumped, backed into, waked, cut off, and every other manner of horrible driving from people in other boats.
So my parents and some of my friends who have boats that are perfectly suited to this fishery just decided they're not going to put up with it anymore.
One rule I would like to see implemented in this fishery is that every boat has a person who does nothing but drive the boat.
That's always been a policy of ours ever since I became a resident 25 plus years ago.
It's so much safer to have a person who isn't worried about getting a fish out of the net or helping someone else do the same. Their sole job is to drive the boat while watching out for hazards and dangers whilst avoiding other people.
I've seen way too many people let go of the tiller or the steering wheel while in gear moving down river in a group of boats two or three wide to help someone get a fish out of a net or while running a net of their own.
Meanwhile they're careening sideways down the river bumping into other people!
It's just ludicrous.
And not only does it put themself in danger they're putting other people in danger. Both in their boat and other boats.
There's a difference between taking risks yourself and putting your kids in danger or people in other boats because you don't know what you're doing and you just want a few fish.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

kwackkillncrew

Reaction score
ah yes citiots only live in anchorage and in the valley....classy. I forgot all the people of soldotna and kenai were born in the boat and been captaining a boat since age 2.

akgriz

Reaction score
There's a lot of people in the dipnet fishery operating boats that shouldn't be operating them in the daytime on that River nonetheless at night.
And yes as was pointed out above there are a lot of locals who gave up fishing this fishery because they were tired of playing bumper boats with all the citiots from Anchorage and the valley coming down.
We've been bumped, backed into, waked, cut off, and every other manner of horrible driving from people in other boats.
So my parents and some of my friends who have boats that are perfectly suited to this fishery just decided they're not going to put up with it anymore.
One rule I would like to see implemented in this fishery is that every boat has a person who does nothing but drive the boat.
That's always been a policy of ours ever since I became a resident 25 plus years ago.
It's so much safer to have a person who isn't worried about getting a fish out of the net or helping someone else do the same. Their sole job is to drive the boat while watching out for hazards and dangers whilst avoiding other people.
I've seen way too many people let go of the tiller or the steering wheel while in gear moving down river in a group of boats two or three wide to help someone get a fish out of a net or while running a net of their own.
Meanwhile they're careening sideways down the river bumping into other people!
It's just ludicrous.
And not only does it put themself in danger they're putting other people in danger. Both in their boat and other boats.
There's a difference between taking risks yourself and putting your kids in danger or people in other boats because you don't know what you're doing and you just want a few fish.

Exactly. I got hit by an idiot who thought helping land a fish was more important than driving the boat, nearly hit a second time in a similar situation, and almost got plowed into by an idiot screaming in to the dock at about 20mph to pick someone up while I was maneuvering against the dock in 25 knot winds picking someone up myself (I guess they couldn't wait 15 seconds until I cleared!)!

I'm seriously thinking about getting a really loud loudspeaker system and mounting it on my boat, playing a loop of "ATTENTION: Boat Drivers, you have ONE job. Drive the boat in the safest manner possible. That means you DRIVE, others fish!"

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
ah yes citiots only live in anchorage and in the valley....classy. I forgot all the people of soldotna and kenai were born in the boat and been captaining a boat since age 2.
it's not that they only come from Anchorage it's that the majority of them do!
How much you want to bet that there's a higher percentage of people on the Kenai peninsula who can confidently and safely drive a boat on the Kenai River then there are from Anchorage?
Sure there's also incompetent drivers from just about everywhere including the peninsula.
But by and large I think the biggest problem with incompetent or inconsiderate boat operating comes from people from outside of the Peninsula.
Those who oftentimes only fish this River once a year for dipnetting.
Not blaming anyone in particular or calling any particular person out as there are some very competent boat operators in all parts of Alaska.
Whenever I have fished with someone from Kenai/Soldotna/Kasilof we always had a boat driver who just drove the boat. That's just how everyone I know and have fished with does it.

BTW I don't know anyone who was captaining a boat at 2 years old.
But several of my friends started working on their families commercial fishing boats when they were 6 years old.
One of my friends has paperwork showing his family has been commercially fishing the Kenai Peninsula since at least 1926.
He also holds the licensing to rent/ operate a sailboat anywhere in the world and has sailed all over places like the Great barrier reef in Australia.

kwackkillncrew

Reaction score
What blows my mind is that there is not a boating safety course one must take to drive a boat up here. Any dude or lady can go buy a $120,000 boat and go for a rip. That just boggles my mind. Theres no way i would have ever bought an ocean boat if I didnt have years of experience boating. Yes most of the boating was in the mid west and I had to take a boat safety course but I still had a much better idea of what to look out for then some schmuck who had money burning a hole in their pocket. Personally I think there should be some type of course one has to take just like gun safety. It wouldnt resolve all the problems but I would think it would take care of some of them. I hope I am in the minority who isnt a cidiot since I have yet to play bumper boats with some one in a harbor....knock on wood.

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
What blows my mind is that there is not a boating safety course one must take to drive a boat up here. Any dude or lady can go buy a $120,000 boat and go for a rip. That just boggles my mind. Theres no way i would have ever bought an ocean boat if I didnt have years of experience boating. Yes most of the boating was in the mid west and I had to take a boat safety course but I still had a much better idea of what to look out for then some schmuck who had money burning a hole in their pocket. Personally I think there should be some type of course one has to take just like gun safety. It wouldnt resolve all the problems but I would think it would take care of some of them. I hope I am in the minority who isnt a cidiot since I have yet to play bumper boats with some one in a harbor....knock on wood.

That's a great idea!
And I would support it wholeheartedly.
Every boat should have a competent operator who has passed a boating safety course and has no other duties other than driving the boat.
I too learned on lakes in the midwest.
But when I bought my own saltwater boat I went with friends who grew up commercial fishing and were quite competent in saltwater boating in Alaska.
They helped me learn and if it got bad they could guide me through it or take over the helm.

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score

Absolutely! Every time I drive in/out of the harbor, and someone is on the wrong side. Every time I try to radio someone, and they have no radio. Every time I see someone cut me off. And on and on........ We get the worse of it here with silver salmon season.

akgriz

Reaction score

If we could just mandate common courtesy, it would go a long way.... If not a required course, I'd at least like to see (insert competent authority here) produce a handout for the "citiots" (and locals too) delineating proper procedures on the Kenai--for example, on step operation only in the middle of the river/chanel (near the commercial anchor buoys) rather than up the sides or through the groups of boats coming downriver, no "circling" in front of other boats, driver to drive only, no parking boats (AKA blocking the dock) at the dock, etc. I like to think (yes, I'm occasionally delusional) there is some good in most people and they simply don't recognize the effects of their actions on others without prompting!

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
If we could just mandate common courtesy, it would go a long way.... If not a required course, I'd at least like to see (insert competent authority here) produce a handout for the "citiots" (and locals too) delineating proper procedures on the Kenai--for example, on step operation only in the middle of the river/chanel (near the commercial anchor buoys) rather than up the sides or through the groups of boats coming downriver, no "circling" in front of other boats, driver to drive only, no parking boats (AKA blocking the dock) at the dock, etc. I like to think (yes, I'm occasionally delusional) there is some good in most people and they simply don't recognize the effects of their actions on others without prompting!

I could get behind that as well.
It would be nice if it would also list the Coast guard requirements for boats such as life jackets, throwables, horn or whistle, flares etc.
Of course some of that is dependent on the size of the boat.
They should also add to the handout what the repercussions for their actions are.
For instance if you injure someone in your boat or another as the boat captain you are responsible to get/give them medical help.
And that you are liable for any damages to other people's boats should your actions be the cause.

I've not heard of someone in the dipnet fishery damaging someone's boat and having to pay for it but if you have a nice boat it sucks to have somebody bouncing off of it because they're not paying attention while operating their boat.
Most of these incidents that I've seen happen at a low enough speed it's just a scratch in the boat or something.
But I can imagine there's probably been a few incidents that have caused some dents or more serious damage.
Something like that could certainly be worse at night where it's more difficult to see, though with fewer boats on the water odds of hitting someone are probably reduced.

gunner

Reaction score
The Peninsula Clarion reported 57 tickets issued to pu fishers on the kenai and kasilof between 7/21 and 7/27., 5 of those were for kenai, kasilof, soldotna and sterling residents. This is a vast improvement over previous years, when there were many more violaters. Hopefully the dippers are cleaning up their act.

smithtb

Reaction score
Last year King retention was prohibited in the PU fisheries, yet estimated harvest was 50 Kings in the Kenai dipnet fishery, with 85% of harvest reports returned.

I dipped with my wife a twice on the Kenai last weekend. We caught a 50lb buck the first night and a 30lb hen the second. I know several other folks who also netted them.

The entire setnet fleet was shut down for the season this year in early July after an estimated harvest of 32 large Kenai Kings. I fished 4 setnet permits every day the Kasilof section was open and the largest King I saw was 17lb. We caught approximately 5 more jacks, all under 10lb. I caught more large Kenai Kings with a dipnet last weekend than our setnet site has in the last 2 seasons.

Not trying to poke at the PU fishery on this issue - I think it's generally true that people let them go. I'm just really disappointed by the yield tradeoffs were making when "every fish counts", but only in some fisheries.

Cohoangler

Reaction score
I understand your disappointment, particularly with the yield tradeoffs. But what is the estimated mortality rate for Chinook salmon that are handled in the two different fisheries? My sense is that the set net mortality rate is quite high while the dip net morality rate is considerably lower. But I'm not that familiar with either fishery......

NorcalBob

Reaction score
There is a clear choice in the AK Gubernatorial race this year. One had established a pro-commfish agenda, and one other had established a pro-PU/sport agenda. Make your vote count with the candidate of your choice. As has been clearly shown in the past, yield tradeoffs are decided by the winner of the election, not the loser. And yield tradeoffs are purely in the eye of the beholder.

mark knapp

Reaction score
I fished that fishery once with my boat at the behest of a friend that wanted to go. Never again, and if I had known how it was going to be I would not have gone that time. It aint for me. Seems like there are altercations there every day.

Latest posts