Just got Back- 2014 Bear Hunt

kahahawai

Reaction score
What a rush to kill a big bear at 19 yds! How far did the bear go after the shot? What bow & broadhead did you use? What did the bear square?

He didn't go more than 50 yards before piling up, the shot was a slight quartering away broadside with his left side expose to me, he did look my way when I was at full draw, which seemed forever, and once he moved that left front leg forward I let it fly right behind his shoulder, he didn't flinch or make a sound, he just ran, nor did he do the death moan, it was a quick and quiet. It was a pass through but not a complete pass through, most of the arrow was sticking out the other side. I'm shooting a 2014 Mathews Creed, with Gold tip pro hunter 5575 that I cut and fletched myself. My broadheads are solid 3 blade montecs 100 grainers. the bear squared 8'8" by 7'10" roughly and the skull by doing the box method I measured 26 1/4 " give or take. I'll let the pros do it after the drying period, my next day off I will be checking him in to F&G.

On a side note, we cut the backstrap into medallions marinated in a seasoned garlic rub for 2 hours, then sauteed in olive oil and butter with Mushrooms and sweet onions.....and it was really good, interior spring griz is very tasty in case you guys haven't tried it. the dark red meat, is much like pork tenderloins. The hams will be smoked, and the rest of the meat made into italian sausage, pastrami, and grizzly sticks.

Steve Springer

Reaction score
Congratulations on stalk of a lifetime and most importantly to me, for eating that tasty monster. Too many people leave good bear meat in the woods.

kahahawai

Reaction score
Congrat's Chuck, That's sure something to be proud of. Full mount or what!!

Thanks buddy !!! he's getting rugged and skull done up. Saving the lifesize full mount ticket for a big coastal brownie whenever it happens, I want to take one with a big bore rifle.

Fullcurl

Reaction score
Brown bear with a bow = ultimate Alaskan hunting experience. Salute.

ramhunter

Reaction score
Thanks buddy !!! he's getting rugged and skull done up. Saving the lifesize full mount ticket for a big coastal brownie whenever it happens, I want to take one with a big bore rifle.

Chuck, who's doing the skull for you? I was thinking about sending mine to that guy in Kodiak! always have done my own skulls by boiling, but think I will have this one bug cleaned!

ninefoot

Reaction score
Hell of a bear Kaha!!! Thats the stuff buddy. I Like hearing that appreciation for hunting them on the ground where they can be a bear...gonna be quite a rise in archery taken bears, with the liberal units and the beginning of baiting tolerance. Luckily there are still hunters that appreciate the traditional challenge of finding a good one and hunting him on foot....regardless of weapon.

Congrats bro... im predicting that its gonna be hard to duplicate the satisfaction that undoubtedly came with that success, any species, anywhere on our continent.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

kahahawai

Reaction score
Chuck, who's doing the skull for you? I was thinking about sending mine to that guy in Kodiak! always have done my own skulls by boiling, but think I will have this one bug cleaned!

Dave, Wildlife Artistry does my stuff out of Palmer, I believe he sends it to a beetle guy in Anchorage if I can recall, not sure, However, I heard there's a couple guys here in the valley that have beetles now.

.338 mag.

Reaction score
No planes, no trail cams, no tree stands and no carried in bait. How refreshing! Way to go and congrats on a great trophy you can always be proud of. I think I am a little jealous, shame on me.

kodiakrain

Reaction score
Really Impressive,... is a bit of Understatement,...
The info on Backstrap prep and dining is really interesting also

Well Done, and Congrats