Just got Back- 2014 Bear Hunt

kahahawai

Reaction score
Well while everyone was heading south toward fire stricken Kenai in pursuit of black and brown bear, we decided to head north toward the interior to an area we call Griz Highway, we got word of a moose kill and bears were in the area, mainly because of the calving season. The bears mainly hit the low land before migrating on to the salmon streams. I had some use/lose leave so I burned up a couple extra days along with the weekend because I knew this was going to take some time to get in the area. Long story short... It has been a long time dream for me to pursue a griz by spot and stalk, to me, along with sheep hunting, it is the utmost adrenaline rush a hunter could ask for. After several failed attempts through the years, I realized it wasn't going to happen. With each attempt I learned from it, as I re-think my past encounters. And the main thing I have learned is....It is almost near to impossible to stalk griz to within close bow range, Patience is key, and this big boar made the mistake, he crossed my path as I sat at 19 yards !!!! .... My tribute to this Apex predator as I thank him for this experience !!! on a side note not that it matters to me....He'll make P&Y.

photo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

akrstabout

Reaction score
P&Y really? I think if you were not sitting so far back behind the head people would be able to focus on the milk around the lips! Hahahahahahahahahaha, yup, I'm jealous a bit, and payback is a *****! Very cool man, waiting to hear the skull size on that bad boy!!

Brian M

***** Admin
Reaction score
Excellent! Well done, Chuck. Just back from an attempt at spot and stalk brown of my own, but unsuccessful on my end. Patience pays off, eh?

CGSwimmer25

Reaction score
Heck of a bear!! Really awesome getting that close and keeping your cool long enough to let an arrow fly. Congrats!

sep

Reaction score
Awesome bear. Congratulations! Since you've now killed one with a bow, using a gun for the next one seems kinda unimpressive. Maybe next year you could try a spear or maybe a wrist rocket!! :lol:

outdoor1

Reaction score
congrats on a nice bear,that is a dandy trophy with a bow,does not get any better very well done.

4merguide

Reaction score
Since you've now killed one with a bow, using a gun for the next one seems kinda unimpressive.

Yeah, he's gonna be spoiled now...... Other than helping out the moose population, after killing a bear like that with a bow, killing another one with anything else would seem like a step backwards......lol

A fine bear Chuck... and a whole other element to the hunt doing it with a bow. You da man!!! :topjob::topjob::topjob:

kahahawai

Reaction score
Awesome bear. Congratulations! Since you've now killed one with a bow, using a gun for the next one seems kinda unimpressive. Maybe next year you could try a spear or maybe a wrist rocket!! :lol:

In all actuality, I have a 375 H&H that I specifically purchased for coastal Brownies, and I am itching to use it someday either on the pen or Kodiak if I can ever get myself to plan the hunt instead of relying on draw permits. There's just something about hunting with a big bore I want to experience...

kahahawai

Reaction score
Great job! Do you have a 'backup' weaponry available if something goes awry when u got him?

Yes, On all my bow hunts up here, I'm packing a S&W 629 in .44 Mag strapped to my Diamond D chest holster. fortunately I never had to use it.

AKHUNTINFOOL

Reaction score
What a rush to kill a big bear at 19 yds! How far did the bear go after the shot? What bow & broadhead did you use? What did the bear square?

AZinAK

Reaction score
Congrats again Chuck. Beautiful bear and I can't wait to see it in real life. The Kahahawai family is on a mean lucky streak for sure!

Chris

mtnclimber

Reaction score
What a great bear kaha. ill probably never experience the thrill of spot and stalk brown bear with a bow, its quite an accomplishment. Congrats!