Juneau Silvers

Dr.No

Reaction score
Picked up 1 silver a Pt Retreat today and 3 shaker kings...all at 25-35 feet. Not bad for an hour or so, but there was a ton of kelp/debris in the water which meant I was having to pull the downriggers on a regular basis...So I picked up and joined the fleet at Handtollers for a pass. Had one very hard strike that I had on for a couple of minutes, but it got off...that was the extent of my day given I ended up having to go in early...

Dr.No

Reaction score
I don't remember seeing any charter guys there, though I went over because a friend of mine had said that's where they've been at this past week. Didn't see anyone else hook up, but I only did one pass and could only really see a couple of boats...

vermilion

Reaction score
nope, all of the charters have been out at false retreat and corgwood

Reaction score
Anyone know how to get those dipac silvers to bite? I see herds of them out near the dock, but they're not biting on anything. Not spinners, flies, herring, eggs, nor spoons. Should I just don my baseball cap, hoody, and polarized sunglasses and join the treble hook snagging crowd?

Sobie2

Reaction score
RE Dipac: Like stream fishing perhaps you need to slow down your retrieve or add some split shot a foot or so in front of your lure, and wait to retrieve it. If the lure is above them to high they won't attack. In shallow streams or estuaries they are confined, not so at DIPAC.

Sobie

Reaction score
Sobie-

I'll give that a try. But something to think about is that I ran eggs and herring on bobbers from 4'-6' down right in the middle of the schools and they wanted nothing to do with it.

Sobie2

Reaction score
It looks like justice has been served at DIPAC

http://juneauempire.com/local/2012-09-10/wildlife-troopers-snag-late-night-violators-juneau

Alaska Wildlife Troopers stayed up late and reeled in several people cited for snagging at a popular Juneau fishing spot last week.
Between the dates of Sept. 6 and Sept. 8, troopers conducted surveillance of the Channel Wayside Fishing Dock located next to the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery (DIPAC) on Channel Drive.
Troopers get reports daily of people using weighted treble hooks to snag fish in the area closed to snagging. Snagging is prohibited on and within 150 feet of the Channel Wayside fishing dock. Troopers have also been receiving complaints of people fishing after 9 p.m. in the spillway below the hatchery, which is closed to all fishing.
Those were contacted and cited during this patrol were:
• Jeremy Zellner, age 32 of Colorado, was issued a $110 bailable citation for sport fishing in closed waters.
• Anthony Manacio, age 29 of Juneau, was issued a $110 bailable citation for sport fishing in closed waters.
• Hanibal Eala, age 45 of Juneau was contacted at 11:30 p.m. and issued a $110 bailable citation for sport fishing in closed waters and a $130 citation for retaining a snagged coho salmon. Troopers seized Eala’s fishing pole and a head lamp he was using to spot salmon in the area closed to fishing.
• Terry Flinders, age 60 of Juneau was contacted at 11:30 p.m. and was issued a $110 bailable citation for fishing with a snag hook in the area closed to snagging. Flinders’ fishing pole was also seized.
• Zachary Gray, age 23 of Juneau, was issued a $130 citation for retaining a snagged coho salmon.
• Christopher Demmert, age 31 of Juneau, was issued a $150 citation for retaining two snagged coho salmon.
• Siaosi K. Maake, age 22 of Juneau was contacted at 11:30 p.m. and issued a $110 citation for fishing with a snag hook in the area closed to snagging. Maake’s fishing pole was seized.
• Siua Sekona, age 49 of Juneau was contacted at 11:11 p.m. and issued a $110 citation for fishing with a snag hook in the area closed to snagging. Sekona’s fishing pole was seized.
• Moala T. Pasi, age 54 of Juneau was contacted at 11:48 p.m. and issued a $110 citation for fishing with a snag hook in the area closed to snagging. Pasi’s fishing pole was seized.

Dr.No

Reaction score
The citations don't seem to have stopped some of the snaggers...there were 3 kids (group 1) and a guy (group 2) snagging right at the edge of the no fishing sign today. They both kept fish in the 20 minutes I was there...they were being much less obvious in trying to snag (kids were using pixies, the guy was using some less obvious type of snagger with a hootchie on it), so I guess that's something...As far as legally caught fish go, I saw 1 caught on a pink spinner...

Reaction score
I think I saw the exact same kids there two days ago. The incognito snaggers. Pixies with trebles. I even heard them joking about the recent State Trooper snagging crackdown mentioned earlier in this thread.

The thing I really hate about fishing shoulder-to-shoulder with the snaggers is that the fish frequently get barely hooked through soft skin on the back or side of the fish. The result is that the hooks often times will tear clean through and violently pop free near shore under tremendous tension as the salmon is being horsed in. I've had more than a couple of these hooks rocket right past my face. I've changed my operating procedure because of this. Now when a snagger connects, I just pull my gear and retreat up the beach and out of harms way while the snagger lands the fish.

Latest posts