Is this your barrel?

AKDoug

Reaction score
In my experience the LEO never or nearly never get their boots dirty around here. Just my observation.
In your little slice of heaven that may be very well true. However, in my neck of the woods my local F&G LEO spends most of his time during bear baiting season enforcing the rules, including inspecting most registered bait sights. Everyone I know that has a bait registered around here has been inspected.

AKF

Reaction score
Yeah, this is a great forum. Plenty of great input from all it's member. I'm sure the 'guy' in your way is going to speak up and admit the 'error of his ways' in front of all the great members of this forum.

I'm sorry for suggesting something that made a lot of sense to me and has worked in the past. By placing a note at the guys stand, barrel or sign ... he WILL get the message. Try it. You might be surprised and see that it works.

That's an awful lot of cynicism when you are ragging on me for two concerns that were addressed on page one - In my original post I asked the guy to PM me, not to post on an open forum. So your number one point is baseless.

I got your suggestion about posting a note for him and replied to that concern back on page one. As I said there, I was without pen and paper but will be taking a note down on my very next trip. This was an attempt to make contact with "the guy" during the week before I head back into the stand. Number 2 point is also baseless.

Reading is fundamental.

AKF

Reaction score
I'm still going to post the note for "the guy" but I may go another route also. In the past I had scouted getting down on the other side of the ridge in case my egress was blocked by a brown bear or something. I would have to set up a rope for a little extra security but I believe I could break in a trail that will keep me 100 yards or so away from "the guy's" barrel. My only concern here is that I try to keep impact minimal and cutting another trail does not follow that model.

I was also thinking about just moving the sign at the road back about 10 feet. That will make it where passers-by can't see it but anyone who stops there will.

What do you think?

AKF

Reaction score
In response to the Trooper checks, I have been checked at the roadway but he did not come in to the stand. He may have checked all the stands in the area at another time for all I know. He asked me about what I was using for bait and how I had my stand set up. He also checked all my papers.

Nice guy.

Edited because I spelled papers wrong.

Last edited:

Frostbitten

Reaction score
Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soo
I'm still going to post the note for "the guy" but I may go another route also. In the past I had scouted getting down on the other side of the ridge in case my egress was blocked by a brown bear or something. I would have to set up a rope for a little extra security but I believe I could break in a trail that will keep me 100 yards or so away from "the guy's" barrel. My only concern here is that I try to keep impact minimal and cutting another trail does not follow that model.

I was also thinking about just moving the sign at the road back about 10 feet. That will make it where passers-by can't see it but anyone who stops there will.

What do you think?

I think if you are planning on messing with someone elses sign, you probably shouldn't be advertising it to the entire world.

AKF

Reaction score
I think if you are planning on messing with someone elses sign, you probably shouldn't be advertising it to the entire world.

I disagree. I'm not messing with his official F&G sign. The official sign is 1/3 of a mile from this sign. This sign just says "Bear Baiting Ahead." While there may be some opinion based issues, I don't think there would be any legal, moral, or ethical issues with moving the sign back 10 feet.

If it makes you feel better, I'll talk to a wildlife trooper and ask him what he thinks before I do it.

Frostbitten

Reaction score
Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soo
I disagree. I'm not messing with his official F&G sign. The official sign is 1/3 of a mile from this sign. This sign just says "Bear Baiting Ahead." While there may be some opinion based issues, I don't think there would be any legal, moral, or ethical issues with moving the sign back 10 feet.

If it makes you feel better, I'll talk to a wildlife trooper and ask him what he thinks before I do it.

If it makes you feel better, do what you think you need to. I'm just saying, the person that put it there may have put it in that spot for a reason. It's just as much their area as it is yours.

fishingyoda

Reaction score
I think were all to anxious for the bears to show up, seems like lots of guys are
Ready to jump the case and be jerks. I say you take some c4 and blow his barrel and sign out of the stAte! That'll learn him. :)

blackbear

Reaction score
i learned by placing barrels too close to my own trail to my second bait that bears follow the easiest trail it seems and walked up to within 15 feet of a very large grizzly sleeping in a depression on the trail. So the next year I moved my barrels further away from the trail ans the bears made new trails to the bait. From a safety stand point I can see notifying the other guy so no one gets hurt .

As far as adding signs that mention bear bait in the area I think I will start that this year. From what I read the new baiter obviously doesn't want someone hurt so they put out the signs just maybe they hadn't thought it out all the way . I think that it is commendable that AKF posted here and isn't trying to sabotage the new person.
This will work out for the best because AKF is acting clearheaded on the issue. Not trying to say get away from my area or otherwise/

alaskabliss

Reaction score
My point to you was that the troopers do NOT inspect stations unless there is a complaint, they do not just do inspections as a course of business.

Fact of the matter is that they do check bait stations as a course of business. No one has ever complained about my station but yet, every year the troopers check me and everyone else out... You ask how do I know? Because every year you see the troopers at the trail heads and they have a sheet with all the bait stations and coordinates on it. They sign off next to the name once the inspection is complete. Fact. I can't seem to find a reason why my area would be the only area this is done. Another fact. The state has established rules regarding baiting to minimize issues that you feel your area is so special to have, yet no problems have been reported ( no runners have been mauled by a bear while holding their trusty water bottle due to baiting). The rules are their for a reason, and I understand your concerns. If you have a baiter that is not following the rules then REPORT it.

Ak River Rat

Reaction score
Children! That is enough!

Children! That is enough!

:shot::shot: Sweet Mother Mary, STOP already! Some of you guys need to take a chill pill, or a long cold swim. You guys are so far out in left field that you might as well just hop the fence and keep on truckin. You are so ensconced in getting the last word in that you are missing the point of the thread.
AKF, you are right on track. Nothing you have said, or done, seems wrong, unethical, immoral, or even a tad bit mean. If guys just read your posts they'd have all the answers. Some of the questions I get, but still agree that you are on the right path.
Seems you are concerned about 2 primary items, the roadside sign and the location of the barrel. I'd agree, move the sign up the path till it is out of sight of the road, and leave a note there. Then go up to his bait site and leave that note you originally wanted to leave when you noticed that you had no pen or paper.
Be a bit careful with the wording, but leaving a note with your name and number is hardly threatening. I've done exactly the same several times with good luck. Not a single person called angry and when folks decided to move, I offered to help them or at least offer up what I thought was another good spot.
It sounds to me like you are trying to treat your "neighbor" the way you'd like to be treated. Good on you, and good luck, not only with him, but with your hunt, which is why you are there in the first place. Looks to me like you are headed to a "win-win".
ARR

Akres

Reaction score
From a Hunter's perspective, I would think most would want the trail to remain unmarked and hidden from public view as being a place where bear baiting is taking place...
From a Hiker's/Non-Hunter's perspective, I would think most would want to know the trail leads to bear baits...BEFORE they get all dressed up in their costumes, get the kids put in the backpacks and change into their fancy mountain shoes from their driving shoes...To find a sign posted some distance back from the trailhead, would tend to infuriate them...I'll bet.

If one is going to bait from the road, I would think a sign at the trailhead is not out of line. To be honest, Every Hunter knows a vehicle parked there or evidence of people repeatedly parking in the bar ditch is telling of what is going on...
An unsuspecting/ignorant Hiker, might regard it as an invitation...a new place to check out...DO NOT assume those folks are smart enough to figure these things out on their own...They are NOT!!! They need to be told...sooner the better, if you get my drift.

cusackla

Reaction score
:shot::shot: Sweet Mother Mary, STOP already! Some of you guys need to take a chill pill, or a long cold swim. You guys are so far out in left field that you might as well just hop the fence and keep on truckin. You are so ensconced in getting the last word in that you are missing the point of the thread.
AKF, you are right on track. Nothing you have said, or done, seems wrong, unethical, immoral, or even a tad bit mean. If guys just read your posts they'd have all the answers. Some of the questions I get, but still agree that you are on the right path.
Seems you are concerned about 2 primary items, the roadside sign and the location of the barrel. I'd agree, move the sign up the path till it is out of sight of the road, and leave a note there. Then go up to his bait site and leave that note you originally wanted to leave when you noticed that you had no pen or paper.
Be a bit careful with the wording, but leaving a note with your name and number is hardly threatening. I've done exactly the same several times with good luck. Not a single person called angry and when folks decided to move, I offered to help them or at least offer up what I thought was another good spot.
It sounds to me like you are trying to treat your "neighbor" the way you'd like to be treated. Good on you, and good luck, not only with him, but with your hunt, which is why you are there in the first place. Looks to me like you are headed to a "win-win".
ARR

Amen to That ARR. Couldn't agree with you more.
Louis

Reaction score
This is what I would do, get a handgrenade you know the fragmentation one. Tape it to the barrel lid, so when he has to pull the lid it pulls the pin and KABOOM problem solved no barrel and no more hunter. See how easy that was...

AKF

Reaction score
This is what I would do, get a handgrenade you know the fragmentation one. Tape it to the barrel lid, so when he has to pull the lid it pulls the pin and KABOOM problem solved no barrel and no more hunter. See how easy that was...

I think my sarcasm meter must be broken.

mauserboy

Reaction score
"The ambivalent minority besmirching the image the rest of us strive to protect...."
Geez, and here I thought "besmirching" was the act of rubbing bear poop all over your hunting gear to mask your scent. Now I have to revise.
This does sound like a line right out of some activists handbook. Just saying.

FartherNorth

Reaction score
AKF,
I've been trying to PM you, but I don't see any messages in my sent box...new here, so I'm not sure exactly how to work it.
Anyways, contact me via PM and I'll help you get a hold of this guy.

For those of you who post such absurd things as recommending hand grenades, you give all hunters a bad name. Please modify your rhetoric appropriately.

fishingyoda

Reaction score
AKF,
I've been trying to PM you, but I don't see any messages in my sent box...new here, so I'm not sure exactly how to work it.

For those of you who post such absurd things as recommending hand grenades, you give all hunters a bad name. Please modify your rhetoric appropriately.

If you think a comment about blowing up some barrel is serious your probablly on the wrong forum. I can't say for sure but I'd just guess that's what is called sarcasm. I highly doubt that's giving any of us a bad name.
You should be more worried about all of us hunters cruising around in full sized lifted trucks spitting out black smoke with hunting logos and license plates as giving us all a bad name to the bunny kissin tree hugging yuppies! Also sArcasm

spoiled one

Reaction score
AKF,

As a new member you cannot use the PM function. You need many more posts and a month of membership +/-.

Latest posts